need help getting rid of comrey

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by blindhen, Oct 5, 2005.

1. blindhen

blindhen Member

anyone know a good (non chemical) way of getting rid of comfey...i've been battling with it for 2 years....maybe i should just give up and start a new flower bed elsewhere?

2. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

Whenever you dig comfrey, you'll inevitably leave behind some tiny pieces of damaged root. Each of those will become a new plant. As I guess you've discovered. The only thing I can think of is to hire a bobcat which can dig up the entire plant plus the soil around it, reducing the likelihood of leaving behind any root. Comfrey has a very long taproot, however, so it might take several scoops to get it all. Depending on how much comfrey you have, you could lose half your garden in the process!

However, if you're not that keen, dig up what you can of it and sift the soil to remove all the root pieces, and as soon as you see a seedling pop up, remove it immediately while it's young and relatively helpless. With perseverence, it will eventually be got rid of. Ask me how I know!!

3. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

Oh, lucky you :p I'd love a big patch of comfrey to feed the goats.

We have a small plant that isn't doing too well. Maybe if I try and remove it, it will grow better ;)

4. Kee Wan

Kee Wan Well-Known Member

I"ll bite....How do you know??

5. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

How to get rid of comfrey?

Start selling it.

As soon as you decide to sell starts, you will not have enough
    and/or it will all die.
    :eek:

6. homebody

homebody Well-Known Member

If you decide to sell iton the barterboad, you'd probably get some buyers. People say that chickens like it, I don't know what else does. Have never seen any except in pics. ;)

7. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

I have a lot of comfry. I didn't know it could be a problem until about a month ago. I put in seven or eight little pieces of root in the spring. They're now huge plants.

Are there any benefits to feeding comfrey to animals? I assume from what I read above that it's ok for goats and chickens. What about cattle and rabbits?

8. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Bunnies love it.

9. backachersfarm

backachersfarm Well-Known Member

I'd loveto have some...I have another noxious plant I'll trade you for it....lol Marshmallow plant.
    Sharon

10. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Comfrey is very good for bunny food (so I've read). It's also called "knit bone" and can be helpful as an healing herb.

I am growing some because it is GREAT for heating up compost. That stuff gets a pile going like nobody's business!

If you want to get rid of it, I wonder if you could could just cover up the ground with an old rug or some other such thing? In a couple of seasons, you could grow something else there.

Sharon, I'd sure like to try some of that marshmallow root. Looking for anything else besides comfrey? If you're looking for an invasive ;) , I have anise hyssop seeds. I keep them potted, but they are in the mint family, so...

Pony!

11. blindhen

blindhen Member

thanks for all of the help....i do keep one patch of it for herbal/animal food usage...it's just this one creeping rapidly throughout my perennial bed. i have found that our chickens only like it if they're stomping in the garden..if i pick it and give it to them they have no interest....i'm going to send some starts to someone and then i think just learn to love it and start a new flower bed next spring. thanks again for all of the help!!

12. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

Comfrey : ) Cut it dry it and post it on Ebay in packages, great for a little bit of tea, soap making, feeding animals, combating kidney cancer. Sell the roots, as comfrey cuttings keep on selling it and it will give up the ghost.

13. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

My husband's Babcia grows it. She grinds the roots and places it in a jar with rubbing alcohol. After is sits for a few weeks, She rubs this on her arthritic joints. Claims it helps, we know it doesn't hurt.

Wish I could spell the polish word for this, and I know I'll butcher it, but it sounds something like "szivacus". Forgive me for the translation.

14. RebeccaJ

RebeccaJ New Member

OH MY GOOD LORD!!!! lol, hi i am new here and i have been poking around and reading the threads. If my mother were to read this she would faint, dead away. She uses comfrey all the time, if you infuse it into oil it makes a great salve and heals things all but instantly! it is wonderful to use as a poultice too. it has amazing healing qualities and would be wonderful to feed to animals! If you dont want it send it here! iam going to be transplanting some in the spring to my garden from my mohters patch. I would say to let the goats into the garden, if it is fenced. i have mine fenced so they can eat it all up in the fall and winter and then just till it all under com spring time. hope you find a good use for it!
    Rebecca