Need help from tinkerers

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Vera, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

Almost a week ago, I was graced with the presence of yet another dumped pup which I took in (as always). She happens to be stone deaf, and after asking some advice from people with deaf dog experience, things are going along pretty smoothly. The main problem I have is getting her attention when she's out of reach and not looking at me. One of the ways of doing that is to put a vibrating collar on the dog. However, commercial models range from just under $100 to several hundred dollars, which is SO not in my budget! Back to searching. The upside - there's a DIY page on how to make a vibrating collar. The downside - it involves a whole bunch of motor- and electricity talk (remember the windmill??) that has me absolutely stumped.

So. I'm wondering if we have any savvy tinkerers here who'd be willing and able to make me a thing as described on http://www.deafdogs.org/resources/vibracollar.html for fair compensation. Tell me what's fair compensation before you start tinkering so I can tell you if I can afford it, ok? :)

Katie is a really good dog, and very smart. If I can give her some decent training, she'll be able to live like any normal, well-trained dog whether it's with me or someone else. I bet she'd appreciate your help a LOT if she knew what I know. I'd appreciate it a lot too :D

2. GREEN_ALIEN

GREEN_ALIEN Sunny, Wet, Tornadoey SD!

What kind of range do you want? It is a very simple project and alot can be done to the whole ' RC car' thing... that makes for way to large of an assembly. How big is the dog now? and going to be?

I should have the parts laying on my bench for up to 400 feet.

3. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

Holy Mackerel, that's fast! Great!! Thank you!

Ok, I only need to be able to page her in the house and the yard. No walks off-leash until training is done, which will take quite a while. So, 400 feet would be plenty :D

Katie is under 6 months old, barely knee-high, and underweight. She weighs 35 lbs now, and I think she'll grow to a good 50 pounds. My guess is she's half border collie and half husky. I think the commercial collars of that range (under 1/2 mile) weigh about 2.5 to 3.5 oz, but the recommendation is 5% or less of the dog's healthy body weight. Math isn't my strong suit... assuming that her healthy weight would be 40 lbs, which is 640 oz, 5% of that should be 32 oz. Did I get that right? So, fitting the whole schebang on a collar for a relatively small neck might be more of a problem than weight.

"A very simple project", is it? :eek: Not by any stretch of the imagination for my brain cell. I'm so glad that there's tinkery folks in this world who can figure stuff like this out! So, do you think that Katie is big enough for the assembly, knowing what goes into it?

P.S.: there's general information on vibrating collars on this page: http://www.deafdogs.org/resources/vibramakers.html
    Don't know if you need that or not.

4. GREEN_ALIEN

GREEN_ALIEN Sunny, Wet, Tornadoey SD!

PM me for my address and I will have you send me a collar to make this thing on. It is best if you get a collar she will grow into. It can be anything you like but nothing real 'dainty' as although small, the unit will need some space.

Do you need it to be weather proof?

Small ...lol too funny. I build micro robotics for a hobby and part time business. Robots that can move around in the space of a can of chaw.

I am thinking of a unit that is on two parts of the collar and each the size of 2 AA batteries. One side for batts and one side for receiver, driver and motor.

Ted

5. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

Sent you a PM :) Thank you!!

6. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Ted,that is a nice thing you are doing :worship:

BooBoo

7. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

wal mart has dog collars with buzzers o them for about 50 bucks, I belive they have light zaps for that price.

a zap colar set on lowest low is a tingle. she might "feel" a buzzer collar that makes noise.

8. blufford

blufford Well-Known Member Supporter

Vera, Dogs have an incredible sense of smell. I suggest that anytime you want the dogs attention you should just cut the cheese!

9. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...........These collars have been successfully Tested on Work Challenged Husbands and boyfriends as Well!!! :eek: :p fordy.. :D

10. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Don't forget to keep us informed with pictures and such.

mikell

11. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

As of this evening, Katie has her own page at http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?i=133208&j=t - pictures and all :)

We've been working on her checking in with me every so often even if it's just a quick glance, and on leaving the cats alone. She's utterly fascinated by them, especially when they run, LOL!

12. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Fine dog!
    A thought....she should train to hand signals very easily.I train all our dogs to sit stay and come with hand signals.However,we could also give a verbal at the same time,so maybe it wont be quite as easy.But I sure would try.I think dogs need to be able to follow commands,its just a healthy thing for em.

BooBoo<----who did hand commands from puppyhood,bless her little heart. :worship:

13. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

Quick update: This dog is outrunning me in every department. She's constantly observing, learning, adjusting, figuring out new things, off to the next one, checking back on this one, off to... - she is NOT the kind of dog who'll ever be content living without a job, and I certainly don't have enough skills to channel her energy into something worthwhile. She may look a lot like a husky, but her insides are total herding dog.

Booboo, I use hand signals too, along with verbal commands. If I had the energy to keep up with her and learn more about deaf dog and herding dog training, we'd make a great pair. But she really needs someone who has much more experience with both than I do, so I've been talking with different rescue groups to find a better home for her. Hate to say it, but in addition to her needing a better trainer, her whirlwind ways are starting to take a toll on me and the rest of the critters. I guess it'll have to be good enough to have taken her off the street and given her a bit of a head start.