Need help from some Ford folks

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by countrymech, Apr 14, 2006.

1. countrymech

countrymech Well-Known Member

Working on an '88 Bronco with a 4.9L fuel injected straight six. The guy that owns it cross wired the plug wires and it started running like crap after a very loud backfire. My question is which post is for the #1 cylinder? The manual I have leaves it open to interpretation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. posifour11

posifour11 Well-Known Member

on my 90 pickup #1 is directly above the wire input connection on the distributor. the firing order on mine is 153624 clockwise.

hope i got it right for ya.

3. Red Devil TN

Red Devil TN Well-Known Member

4. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

If he wasn't smart enough to get the firing order right are you sure someone hasn't pulled the distributer and didn't get it stabbed right? I'd put my thumb over the no. 1 sparkplug hole and bring that cylinder up on compression, line up the timing marks and see where the rotor is pointing.

5. countrymech

countrymech Well-Known Member

I wish the cap was marked, I guess I'll do it the old fashioned way as suggested. I was also wondering if these engines had a fuel pressure sensor on the fuel rail. There is a sensor with a couple charred leads right behind cyl. #1. It looks like the sensor just clips onto the fuel rail but I can't find it in the manuals. Thanx again, Paul.

6. paden

paden Well-Known Member

It doesn't realy matter which post is #1 on the cap. Put number 1 cyl. in TDC, see where the rotor is pointing, make that post #1, then follow your timing sequence around the cap.