Need help finding the right cow

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by prairiegirl, Apr 18, 2006.

1. prairiegirl

prairiegirl Well-Known Member Supporter

We are just about ready to add some cattle to our homestead. Our problem is finding some. I'm hoping someone here can help or offer some suggestions. Lack of time causes us to stay near home. We live in Northern Indiana and would like to stay in this area or perhaps as far as the very southern border of Michigan.

Our first choice is Dexters, but theyseem to be hard to find around here. We'd like a dual purpose breed, but will go with just beef for now. Perhaps Hereford, Highland.......what do you think?

Thanks for any help you can give.

prairiegirl

2. linn

linn Well-Known Member Supporter

If you decide to go with a Dexter make sure it is from a good milking line. All Dexter's are not good milkers any more. An older Jersey or Guernsey would be a good choice. Many times a dairy will cull older cows or cows that are not producing well enough for a dairy. These cows often make wonderful family cows. Just make sure that the cow has four working quarters, does not have a history of mastitis and is gentle to handle. Also make sure the cow is safely in calf, because this is one reason a dairy will cull a cow, if she is a non-breeder. Don't buy a milk cow through the sale barn. There is a reason they are sold there and not offered for private sale.

3. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

I like Jerseys not only are they easier to handle, but the milk is higher in butter fat and sweeter to drink. Ymu Yum

4. Carol K

Carol K Well-Known Member

Email John Potter, he lives right across the border in Michigan and has a huge Dexter herd.
    jpotter@remc11.k12.mi.us

He's very busy with calving at the moment so you may not get an answer for a while, but he will get to you.
    Tell him I sent you.

Carol K

5. prairiegirl

prairiegirl Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the information and suggestions.

Carol K, thanks for the name and address of your friend. I will contact him and see where this leads us.

Thanks!
    prairiegirl

6. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Select cow that is young, pregnant, and reasonably priced - Whatever breed or color that combo comes in! Best Luck with it.