need help figuring live weight after slaughter

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by All country, Jan 9, 2007.

1. All country

All country Well-Known Member

My son has sold 3 hogs by the live weight. Instead of taking each hog in and weighing separately, I suggested we just calculate their live weight from their hanging weight. Everyone agreed that this would be fine. I used to have something that told me what this was. Today he took all three hogs in and of course now I discover I no longer have the formula.

I heard from the locker plant and got all three hanging weights and have no idea how to figure it.

After slaughter
    Hog # 1 weighed 149
    Hog #2 weighed 127
    Hog #3 weighed 171

Thanks!

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Were these hogs skinned?

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Not skinned
    pig 1 weighed 206.9 lbs. based on average yield
    pig 2 weighed 176.4 lbs. based on average yield
    pig 3 weighed 234.5 lbs. based on average yield
    The breed of hog and the gender as well as the grade could impact the above.

4. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

Typically, market pigs will have a dressing percentage between 70 and 75 percent, meaning a pig with a live weight of 240 pounds will have a hanging weight (carcass weight) ranging from 168 to 180 pounds. http://muextension.missouri.edu/explore/qa/swine0001.htm
    If my memory serves me correctly the hanging weight of beef is 66% of live weight.

5. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

Why not just price them based on hanging weight? It's usually a weight from actually weighing them and it's a more accurate way to determine actual yields if you use all the standard cuts.

6. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

I always ask my butcher for the weight before they are processed.

He never had a problem giving us that weight.

Then comes hanging weight

Then come meat at the house weight

We tape measure our Hogs the day before we take them to butcher just to see how accurate we can be to actual weight, but our hogs usually are gentle enough to do this.

7. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

why didnt you measure them before you killed them

8. All country

All country Well-Known Member

Thanks for your responses.

If I understood the lady at the locker plant correctly, those weights were after gutting, removing the head and skinning. I could be wrong.

We have always raised pigs that were a bit pampered and as a result gentle.

These were a bit older when we got them and were very ornery. No matter how much time we spent with them they were still ornery. We've had a lot of rain here and the pen is mid calf deep in mud, gunk, and other gross stuff. We decided it was not worth the fight to try to measure them.

They did however load easy, trotted right into the trailer. Then acted like wild things once they were in there. My son said they trotted off into the lot at the locker plant just as pretty as you please. :shrug:

9. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

Different breeds are a little different. (Some are more or less muscular) For potbellies, after gutting, removing the head and skinning, the carcass is about 50% of the live weight. But then I process them a little different, so most of the meat has been de-boned. so in addition to the meat that comprises 50%, then I also have the bulk of the skeleton, which I've never weighed, but cook down into stock which we pressure can.

1 60 pound boar becomes:

2 approx 5 pound hindleg roasts (10 pounds total) sometimes I make them into brined hams

10 pounds of chunked meat for stews (mostly neck and jowls and loins unless I save the loins for something special, like medallions or kabobs, but then that is also chunked meat)

10 pounds of sausage (trimmings, and flank meat, since the belly has little fat it doesn't make traditional American Style bacon)

3-4 quarts of what is essetially pork boulliabaise (sp?)