Need help - ear mites in pregnant doe

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by moldy, Jun 1, 2005.

1. moldy

moldy Well-Known Member

My only pregnant doe has a bad case of ear mites. I have already put a few drops of oil in her ear that is infected, but should I do more? Usually my rabbits get snuffle, not mites; I treat it with penicillin. However, I'm afraid to give this doe a shot as she is due in a week. Any suggestions?

2. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

I would wait a week after she delivers.

I got a doe from a woman who didn't care for any of her rabbits. The ears were crusted so badly with dead tissue and dried puss. I spent hours cleaning her ears over weeks time. I would have my daughter help hold her while I put mite solution in her ears and use tweezers to pull the flakes of dead skin and mites out, then use swabs with the solution to wipe the insides of the canal.

Like I said, it took weeks to do ths because she would get stressed out,and I didn't want to hurt her, but I tell you what...I was surprised at the quantity of stuff that came from her ears, and the smell.....

3. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

Go to your feed store and get pour own liquid cattle ivormectin. It is expensive but one bottle will last you a very long time. 2-3 drops at the nape of the neck will clear up mites in a couple days. Repeat in a week or so if necessary. I have used ivormec on pregnant does, nursing does with no ill effects. It is by far the fastest and best treatment for ear mites.

4. moldy

moldy Well-Known Member

I took a chance and used some diluted tea tree oil. I have put 2-3 drops in last evening and this morning, and the change is amazing! Most of the crusted gunk is gone and her ear is much less reddened. She obviously doesn't like this, but it doesn't seem to be stressing her out too bad.

5. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

Mineral oil is what I always used, and it worked great!

Natalie

6. crystalniche

crystalniche Well-Known Member

I bought a rabbit with bad ear mites. All I did was to take a cotton swab and fill her ears to the brim with Bag Balm. Within 2 days her ears were clean as the Bag Balm softened and allowed the "gunk" to fall out on its own. Then I took the mite med and used it for a few weeks just to be sure she was clear. Never came back. Bag Balm works wonders for removing the gunk and does not cause much stress on both the bun and the breeder.

7. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

any oil works.. olive, corn oil...baby oil ... tea tree oil... any oil.... but..not motor oil! <smile>

Tracy,

I use the injectable ivomec as a poor on. I find it more versitile in my operation, pour on, injectable and orally.

When you have a few rabbits to tend to, oil in the ears works great. Applied each day for several days and the mites are done.

When you have many rows of rabbits to tend to it is easier to drop 2-3 drops on the nape of either pour on or oral Ivomec.

I give this orally to my goats and dogs.... not for use in collies! don't have cats so I don't know about them. So a bottle that costs $40 will last me about a year.. but then I have 40 goats, 60 rabbits and 7 dogs.

Ivomec is what is given in areas where heartworm exists.

8. Dian

Dian Well-Known Member

westbrook-did I understand right-can you give injectable ivomec to dogs orally? How much would you give a 20 lb. dog? Thanks, Dian

9. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

I give my dog 1/10th of a cc per 10 pounds. I am not recommending this for anyone else.. but this is what I do.

10. mmurrey

mmurrey Well-Known Member

I have heard that you could use it for dogs but everyone that i have ever talked to thought I was crazy- Of course they were all vets. go figure. Do you use it for worming them or what is it exactly used for? I raise Labs and also have a cow and rabbits so if this could be used for all of them it would be great for us. please let me know.

11. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

Worming of course.. my dogs favorite thing to dine on is poo... so it goes without saying if I am worming my livestock... my dogs need a dose too!

But I use ivomec every month on my dogs to prevent heartworm. When the mosquitos go I stop using it...during the winter months. About March I start it all over again. Though we have a "Tiger" mosquito that in brand new to America came in from China with that 'Lucky" bamboo and they are out during the day. Since this is their first year here we will see if they live though the winter and I need to keep the dogs on it all year.

I put it on cottage cheese, yoghurt or ice cream and the dogs love it <wink>

but again I am not recommending this for anyone, just letting you know what I do and why. I know that everyone should do their own research and make their own decisions on why they do something.

One of the breeders of my Anatolians is who told me how to use ivomec on my dog.