Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found out that our niece (22year old) is due to deliver a girl next month. She, her parents, and grandma all live out west, so we don't see them but once a year, altho we talk with mom and grandma a lot. don't know why we weren't in "the baby news" loop, but there ya go.

Niece has been a problem child for years. Just in the last year she's settled down, reached out to mom and grandma...things are going better but she's REALLY self centered (and in my mind darn selfish, but we don't discuss that with mom :) )

anyway, First grandchild in the family. probably the only one. I'm not sure I want to send money because there's been a drug problem in the past, but I'm open to the option.

Girl and her boyfriend (the father) recently bought a house, both have jobs, but money is real tight. I'm thinking that her mother and grandmother will likely come up with lots of stuff for the baby, but we'd like to send some things, too.

I was thinking maybe something for the new mother and/or daddy, as well as something for the baby? Is there something that ya'll who've had children would have liked, but it wasn't possible or was overlooked? Or something that you simply didn't get enough of?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I always send a handmade quilt and bibs.

If you aren't into that - I would probably send a gift card or gift certificate. It is better than cash, and they can get what they need.

·
Premium Member
4,507 Posts
I agree w/ gift certificates,that way Mom can go pick up whatever the baby need sthat she hasn't gotten yet. Or, you can NEVER have enough recieving blankets,bibs,burp cloths,onesies... I have a 7 week old and go thru a zillion daily!

·
Premium Member
9,245 Posts
When there are a lot of welloff friends and grands I usually do the miscallaneous bag- the little things that are needed but not thought of when grands and friends are squealing over cute, cute dresses..
Diaper rash ointment. Petroleum jelly. Baby thermometers ( they used to be one color coded on a pacifier) Pacifiers. Outlet guards and guards for venetian blind cords. cabinet door guards. Extra baby spoons and medication dro[ers. And always, baby's first book- a Dr Suess or something simple.
It usually runs more than one of those cute, cute outfits, btw.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
When we had our first, money was tight. Baby and I went to stay with my parents for the first 2 weeks because we weren't using our A/C (couldn't afford the high bill) and we were having record breaking temps. (DD was born on the first day of summer). They put money on our electric bill acct. so we could afford to run the A/C. It was one of the best gifts anyone could give.

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
Send a gift cert. to a store in their area. You can go online and find out what stores are near by.. That way they can purchase anything they need. If you don't like gc.... Send something handmade or speak to mom, grandmom etc and ask if there is something she needs.. Nothing wrong with that..QB

·
Registered
544 Posts
I got a gift that was un-usual that i would like to share. A family memeber had gathered pictures of all the family and made a looking book for the baby. She had "family" pictures of each family and then separate pics and label each relation. Like "Grandma & Grandpa with their pets as family shot, and then pic of Grandma Boyer labeled Grandma Boyer, "Dad's Grandma" Grandpa Boyer as "step Grandpa.... etc.
It helps them learn to recognize family members that they don't see all the time and makes the child less afraid of "new" relatives during gatherings.

For My DBF's daughter's Amanda, one Grandma got her saving bonds in her name on the day she was born and one for each birthday there after and was she is ready for a car she will able to turn them in to help pay for it. The nice thing is that they are in Amanda's so her Mom could not turn them in (she has a big spending issue instead of paying the bills). Might be an idea if you are worried about the cash issue, and this way you contribute to the childs education and/or a car when the baby is old enough to use them and it is something that inccurs interest. If anyone in family is also worried, each person can do the same thing. Even if someone sets up an back account separatily so the mom doesn't know and give it to baby on his/her 18th or 21st birthday. And then send something small to the mom as a gift. It would be up to whomever to decide to tell mom about the saving bonds/account. :shrug:

Well I thought I would share,
RedheadedTricia

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
Age appropriate disposable diapers can't be beat. They're so expensive and you can't do without them!

Parenting books might be a good idea, as well.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Get one of those little baskets used in you dish washer so you won't loose all the nipples, rings and such. Those things are indespensible, ever smelled melted nipple in the dishwasher?

God Bless the man who came up with the sanitize cycle on your dishwasher.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts