Need help, broken leg?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mailman, Jun 10, 2005.

1. mailman

mailman Miniature Cattle

Hello, can anyone help with this? I came home from work and one of my does (first time mom) had given birth shortly before my return. She had twins and one of the kids has a bum leg, the other kid is fine. The leg seems to bend in the opposite direction, as well as the normal position. The kid is getting around despite the problem. Could she have a broken leg? Birth defect? Should I put a splint/cast on it? Will this heal in time by itself? I have attached two pictures. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you....Dennis

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

I would put a splint on it. It may be from the way he was laying in the womb & not actually a break.

3. ihedrick

ihedrick Can't stop thinkin'

I don't have any suggestions for you, but (pardon the pun) very cute kids!

4. Emily Anne

Emily Anne Active Member

The bone maybe just soft from being in the mother, I have had some who's legs bent every whichaway. They firm up with in a day or two.

5. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

you can splint it if you want, but I think it will probably be ok, if in doubt, have a vet. look at the leg.

6. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Take two wooden spoons(inside and out) .....put the dipper part on wide part of thigh with handle pointing toward the ground when goat is standing....wrap well because momma goat will try to undo it...

I have not used this on a goat but I have used it on a dog that broke her leg....by the time I got to the vet....the vet asked me who told me what to use....I said no one ....apparently the spoon design is used in remote situations.

7. Kimi

Kimi Active Member

I'm still pretty new to goats but in horses (foals) there are times when you can do more damage by splinting as sometimes the best thing is lots of natural excercise to strengthen weak tendons.
    There are also times when minimal movement is recommended as in with contracted tendons.
    I think your best bet is to have her x-rayed and evaluated by your vet.
    Good luck!

8. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Our friend who has a sheep farm will use a harness of sorts to fix things like this. Basically what he does is tie a rope around each back leg, thread it between the front legs and then hooks it over the lamb's neck. So, if that's not clear each back leg has the ends of a rope tied to it just above the hoof, the loop part goes between the front legs and then the loop over the neck. This prevents the leg from getting splayed behind the lamb (in your case kid) and allows the muscle and bone to return to normal. I've never tried it, never had to but I like the theory behind it.

9. Kasidy

Kasidy Well-Known Member

If it was broken the baby would NOT be able to stand on it and get around. I agree with the people who say to just let it go for a few days and see if it straightens out on its own. I have had a few kids and lambs who had sort of wonky looking legs for a few days and then the ligaments tightened up and they were just fine.

10. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

It's hyperextended. You see this alot in pasterns. If you don't brace it she will forever damage the tendon. PVC pipe insulation, the black stuff that you put around your pipes to keep them from freezing works really well. Put this on the leg from the hock down to the dewclews, then affix it to the hock with vetwrap. Everyone should have vetwrap, it sticks to itself and if pressed hard makes an instant soft cast. Softcast the leg into the exact position that the other leg is and leave it on. Do not get anything tight. The last thing you do is take some regular bandaid tape or even duct tape and secure your new bend in the leg, no tighter than you have the vetwrap. Good luck with this. Vicki

11. mailman

mailman Miniature Cattle

Hello, I thought I would post an update as to the newborn kids condition. She seems to be fine now. 24 hours after birth she started using the leg properly with no assistance on my part. It does not drag and bend backwards anymore (what a sad sight that is). So, thank you, each and everyone, for your advice. Looks like a happy ending. It is nice to know that there is someone there to help. :)

12. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

I agree with Vicki...Only diff is I will use a kotex pad or something laying around the house. I would get the grey pvc pipe and cut it in half length wise, so it opens and comes apart like a hot dog bun. Line it with a mini pad and wrap as Vicki described. Sometimes selenium deficiency can cause this. A shot of Bo-Se would help. But check with your extention agent first on selenium quantity.

13. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

My boer buck kid did the same thing. A shot of bose and he was right as rain.

My friend who raises boers said that boers for some reason are more defficiant in BOSE. So she gives all her boer kids BOSE shots when they are born.

My bet is it was BOSE...but maybe it was what Vicki said(since she is a goat guru)

MotherClucker