Need Help, Baby won't walk

Discussion in 'Goats' started by shelbynteg, Dec 23, 2004.

1. shelbynteg

shelbynteg Well-Known Member

I'd appreciate some input --

I have a 10-day-old doe kid, she had colostrum and was eating normally. 4 days ago she went off her feed, and I thought I detected some limping on her front legs, so I started her on Excenel (Naxcel equivilent). Her appetite improved within 36 hours, and she is eating totally normally now. The problem is, she will not walk. She stands up with difficulty, once she's up, she stands fine to nurse, she will not motor around at all. She's not run a fever to speak of with any of this. Sure would appreciate any thoughts or experience you folks might have with this.

Regards, and Merry Christmas

2. Hi Shelby, When I bought my buck about 6 years ago, he was only a day old. Any way a week or so later he was on his knees and couldn't walk. I was fairly new to goats & didn't have a clue. Some people that knew more about goats recommended a shot of selinium - Bose. you can get it from the vet. You might give that a try. It really helped my Colin, he was up & walking again in no time. Just a thought. Good Luck! Mary Lou

3. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

It sounds like Selenium deficiency to me too. You may also want to give the rest of your herd a shot as well....

4. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

Yes BoSe which is Selenium /Vit E you get from the Vet prescription only.
    In the mean time if this were my kid I would give a peoples 400iu Vit E right away. I also would give B1 (Thiamin) which is also a Vet item However in a pinch I have used all people from the drug store Selenium/Vit E/and B1
    You also can use Fortified B Complex and get some of the B1 needed.
    By the way Shelby I am quite sure you are in a Selenium defiencient area and if your does didn't get the BoSe prior to kidding and prior to insemination then quite sure this baby and any else are lacking. My opinion of course.

5. Sondra Peterson

just bumping up hoping to hear how this baby is doing

6. shelbynteg

shelbynteg Well-Known Member

I've given her Bcomplex vitamin injections last night and this morning. Also gave her some cod liver oil (for vits A&D). Vet is bringing BoSe on his call to me today, so that will be added to the mix. This morning she is standing at will.

Thanks all, and merry xmas.

7. Sondra Peterson

AH! Shelby that sounds good!! Great Job!