Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a beautiful little Boer doeling that is 4 wks old. She hasn't been herself for the last few days. Seems depressed. Is eating. Today I noticed she was walking slow and I took a closer look both her front knees are swollen and one eye is runny. She was wormed 1 week ago w/cydectin and treated for lice with the rest of the herd a few days ago. So far no one else seems sick there is only one other her age the rest of the babies are 3 to 5 mos old. I have not taken a temp. Should I isolate her (she is still nursing).

·
loving life on the farm
420 Posts
had one a few months ago that had this. He wanted to eat and would if we held him up to the teat but he couldn't get around. Had to put him down-his name was Lucky. Maybe you'll have better luck. This one's mom had a hard time with the birth and I think she didn't do all the things a goat mother is supposed to do after birth-too tired- and we didn't even know he was coming.

Good luck,
Harplade

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
her temp was 105.4 so I scooped her up and off to the vet we went. She got nuflor and banimine. Vet didn't know what it was.Our vets here treat small dogs,and pets. The large animal vet is 45 minutes away and won't come out for 1 goat. So hopefully the nuflor and banimine will take care of it.

This is "Berryvine Farms Imposter".She is 2wks old in the picture. She is 4 weeks this week and weighed (sick) 16lbs. We call her" Imp " I am in the process of culling and building my herd and she is a keeper so I hope we don't loose her

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Oh, she is so cute.

I hope she gets better. Do you have other antibiotics at home in case she needs more? I don't know anything about NuFlor dosing, but many antibiotics require more than one dose.

·
Cashmere goats
2,023 Posts
She is soooooooo cute.
So why don't you take that little cutie pie to the large animal vet? I never have a vet come out unless I have to. I live over45 min away from the vet, but gosh that is just a normal drive to town for us.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The small animal vet called our large animal vet and that is what he told her to give. He said the swollen joints and fever were a sign of septicemia. Navel ill or something else. So it is wait and see now.

Sweet Goats I looked at your web site to see what a cashmere goat looked like. Several of my American Boers have some cashmere in them and I get a throw back every now and then. I have a some interesting looking does wandering around.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been reading up on joint ill and this seems to be what my little girl has. No much info on goats but tons on calves.The Nuflor should do the trick if I caught it soon enough. One site recommended giving pen-G with the Nuflor. I can only give a little banimine because she is so small anyone have any experience using asprin?? It reallly hurts her to move but I want to keep her moving if I can.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.