Need hearth ideas for wood stove please! or links..

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ark, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

...some pics would be great to give us an idea of what we want...

We've got the pipe and everything ready to go, we have the wood stove - it's a vogelzang that my parents gave us.

We bought a couple of those UGLY floor/wall protector things that they sell and when we got home and looked at them we HATED the way they look. Cheap and effective maybe but we are taking them back.

Could we use some sheet metal covered in some nice oak or something? We were thinking of staining it to match the baseboards. But, I guess that wouldnt work because the wood would get too hot... :help:

We are clueless!!!

2. momlaffsalot

momlaffsalot Well-Known Member

We used tile with a wood frame . It's beautiful!

3. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

This is the hearth that I made for our woodstove. Its a 2 x 10" frame, topped with 3/4" fiberboard, 1/2" cement board, and then 4" clay tiles.

[​IMG]

4. blue gecko

blue gecko Well-Known Member

We used tile as well. We're finallizing plans to put in a wall backing made of tin ceiling tiles. On top of that will go an iron mantel bracket with a lower shelf and hooks for tools. We had it made to fit a piece of granite we found in TX a while back.

Nice pic, Cabin Fever!

5. tamsam

tamsam Well-Known Member

We alredy had one but we made it bigger. It was made from the concrete steppin stones but we couldn't find any to match so we used the ones that look like brick. We will probly reple all the plain one in the spring. They just lay on the floor with a strip of molding around them to keep them in place. Hope this helps Tamsam

6. frazzlehead

frazzlehead AppleJackCreek Supporter

I have tile, too. My stove is set into a V in the wall (there is a jut out of the front of the house, where the stove sits): I have tile on the floor and up the walls behind it. Just plain big 12" tiles, stuck to the floor and wall and grouted, nothing fancy. Works fine. :)

7. cowboy joe

cowboy joe Hired Hand

I started installing my stove this weekend in front of an old fireplace. I had to remove / replace the large, existing hearth (not enough headroom). After considering my options, I went with 12x12x1 red patio block. I like the look of tile (Cabin - looks great!) but I was pressed for time & $$. The old hearth was huge yet replacing the existing, 4x8 raised platform with block cost me less than $60 & took about an hour to install.

8. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

Wow - great pic!

I'd like to do tile, but dont know if dh will.

I'll post a pic when we are done if I can.

Thanks for all the info and ideas!

ARK