need handy help - spool

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by stumpyacres, May 31, 2006.

1. stumpyacres

stumpyacres Well-Known Member

I asked my dn for one of those tall LARGE woodn spools (from wire) and boy did I get one, it is the right size around, but way too tall - can I cut it? How? :shrug:

2. morrowsmowers

morrowsmowers Well-Known Member

A lot of those spools are fastened together by long metal rods -- you can unfasten the rods and take the ends off, then use a circular saw or a sawzall to cut down the center section to the appropriate size. When you put the ends back on you will need to find shorter rods for reassembly or you can cut and then rethread the existing ones.

Ken in Glassboro, NJ

3. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

Once the rods are gone, you can use a Sawzall.
    clove

4. stumpyacres

stumpyacres Well-Known Member

how big of a job is it? and thanks!

5. tiogacounty

tiogacounty Well-Known Member

It's easy, I have disassembled many of them so they would fit in a dumpster. They typically have rods with a built in bolt head on one end and a nut on the other. First determine exactly how much you want to shorten it. Now lay the reel on it's end, nuts up. Remove the nuts and washers. Pull the top off. Now the core is usually composed of individual slats. If you want to do a good job, mark each slat and cut them on a chop saw/miter box. reassemble everything and it should work. You may find that the rods don't have threads all the way down. You may have to replace them with threaded rod. Have fun.

6. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

The best thing might be---------decide how much you want to cut off-----wrap tape around the boards(to keep from falling apart) in the middle just to the side of where you are going to cut it-------then I would set the spool on its two wheels, then support the center---them remove nuts, bolts and side------cut off the center with a saw(your choise)----------------then I would take the long bolts to a welding shop, have them to take off the bolts the same amount of inches as you did on the center of the spool-------put it back together. Good Luck!! Randy

7. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

Fire-man,
    Couldn't you just cut the metal rods to length with a hack saw or sawzall with a metal blade, and then cut new threads on the rods using a tap and die set?
    clove

8. Fire-Man

Yea--------they could also cut off the heads and slide a nut over the rod and weld-----But I guess I was figuring that they didn't have a "Die Set" or welder---------------Lets Re-Word it then--------------------------Shorten the metal rods by what ever means you have!!! How's That?? LOL Randy

9. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) I would also think about what you are going to use this for? They don't hold up very long where I live if they are outdoors..not made of very good stuff. Might be a different thing in another area.

Just musing here. I had one out in my meadow that I painted forest green and used it to support a "village" of bird houses. It did last about three years and then collapsed. LOL Now I have all these bird houses that I made and I have to find a new place for them. Dang!

LQ

10. Fire-Man

That is true. I found that if you will support the spools on some bricks or stones------they will last alot longer. My neighbor painted theirs with a good outside paint, then supported it up off the dirt---its been there a few years and still looks good. Randy

11. Gideon

Gideon Well-Known Member

My bud uses burned motor oil and diesel fuel to paint/stain stuff outside-works great and looks rustic. Gives it a woodsy brown appearance that will not allow the wood to rot easily. Isolating any wood off the ground so it can air dry greatly prolongs its life, Gideon/06 ---edited to add-- you can stain, varnish, and seal or just leave as is and treat heavily with Thompson's or equivalent.