Need Front Entry Ideas

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by heather, Nov 19, 2005.

1. heather

heather Well-Known Member

Here's a picture of the front of our house (so far :D )
    [​IMG]

We need help with front entry ideas -
    I would appreciate ANY of your comments or ideas!!!
    THANK YOU!!

You will see that land is flat to the left & slopes away to the right -
    We are thinking a deck/landing on the front with a few steps that come slanting off to the left (to break up the symmetry a bit)

Our overhang is 3' 9"

Now hubby thinks he wants something with a porch roof, so to speak

Would something like this work??
    The top curved design matches our front door window and keeps with the "rounded" concept......Or is this going to look too busy??

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. kitaye

kitaye Well-Known Member

I like the porch in the second/ third pics. My initial thought was a semi wrap around porch with roof. But a semi wrap around with a roof only over the entrance would look nice too. Especially if it is wide enough that you can set up flower boxes.

Something I'v seen done here to houses is to build a gazebo as the front entrance. It can be seald off for winter with plexi inserts and for summer with bug net. It might not look to bad either.

3. ellebeaux

ellebeaux Well-Known Member

IMHO, if you're going to make a porch make it big enough to sit on! Porches are critical in my life! They are like having an extra room for most of the year and give you a place to stomp off your feet before you go in the house. Ideally, have a screened in porch on one side for evenings and an open porch on one side for sunny mornings. Oh, and steps that are comfy enough to sit on!

I like either of those front porches, though maybe a shed roof sloping towards the front would work as well. As long as the gutters worked well. I like a slightly peaked roof, too. I don't think it would clash with your house unless you just don't want any angles.

In my little house, my front porch is big enough to sit a couple people plus people can sit on the steps. My back deck is about 3' x 4' so eventually I'm going to put a screened in porch back there.

This winter, I'm putting up some trellis on each side and planting rose bushes to climb up them. My goal is to get them to climb all the way up and meet on the porch roof like some kind of English cottage. I guess it's going to take a few years but I hope it works.

your house looks great, can you post pictures of the inside sometime?

Beaux

4. JAK

JAK Well-Known Member

Nice house.

I would suggest that it depends on what you are going to do in the way of gardening and landscaping and how the entrance is going to be used and who is going to use it. the weather and climate you have might also factor into it, both directly, and indirectly via the impact of climate on landscaping and use. Picture the entire property landscaped and being used by you and your friends at different times of the year, and then picture your entrance.

5. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

Great house.

How about a deck following the lines of the house rather then squared like the porch picture. Your overhang is almost 4' so I don't see a need for a roof, but if hubby would be happier, could you just extend your roof line over the entrance?

If you really want to get creative, I'd make the deck multi leveled to the right (the slope side) with steps (2 or 3) between levels. You could add a covered deck at the second level for sitting.

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Not intending to offend but I do not like the porches in the pics. They add nothing to the overall design, they only detract and they look like a poor attempt to add a covered entry. I like the idea of the steps from the left. A wraparound deck starting one wall segment from the left of the entry segment and wrapping to one wall segment to the right of the entry door and following the contour of the house would IMO be fine.. I would drop the floor level to creat a single step up to enter the front door. Doing so will create some additional height from the floor to ceiling but still leaves a design headache with the roof. The only thought I have at this time is to consider a pergola. The drawback with this is the open roof over a portion of the deck. However, the pergola would permit you to tie into the overhang and maintain the eve height common to the home. Failure to maintain the eve height will create an inconsistency in the design and will detract from the pleasing appearance of the home.

7. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd have the porch/deck wrap around to the right several feet, then stairs down the slope to another deck in the back. I'd also extend the porch/deck to the left and make it deep enough to put chairs on. You can do this by not following the curve of the house but keeping the front line straight. Placing some low growing bushes and flowers to the left and some taller ones to the right will pull it all together.

8. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

One thing not seen much anymore is a "vestibule"', a small entrance room or hall. (courtesy of the dictionary). I have no idea why people who want to conserve energy don't use this simple idea. :confused:

Not a porch, it's enclosed. It is a double door sort of room, (air lock) that doesn't let the cold/hot air into the house. It would define the front of your home. You have a drop off on one side so I'd make it the width of the front and whatever depth you feel comfortable with. That's usually 3x5, 5x7, 10x12,
    you know, rug size.

If $ is short, the roof and slab can be built now with the sides & door later. With a bench along one side. :) :)

Looks like you walk directly into your livingroom and most floor plans have kinda' a transition like a wasted space hall. This puts it outside, keeps dirt out, etc.

This would give a person the ability to get out of the weather, maybe if deep enoutgh, a bench seat with storage, a place for hanging coats (coat tree?) and of course plants for the outside/inside transition.

I want to build one on on my house. Mu plans are to have windows on all 3 sides on the top half only. I want a full glass door - if I can afford it. then cheerful, welcoming type planting around that.

Porch: If you want to add one to the side that doesn't have the drop off, that'd be nice too. Just put your door coming in from that side.

Hot dry climates don't have a bug problem so, rather than a patio, I want plant an "umbrella" type tree in the front, put down some sort of pavers, flagstone or flat rock around it, then set my patio furniture on that. Tree comes this spring after I raise the ground. The rest is easy unless I decide to go into the forest to collect flat rocks...Or rent this and move...Such decisions......

Anyway, didn't mean to get tangentinal......

Let us know what you decide, please. :D

I just looked at the porch pictures. Don't like either!
    1. need to follow the roof line
    2. look like additions
    3. too long - good for sitting, but out of proportion with the house
    4. looks :eek: ugly

9. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

It is me again.....go here http://www.pergolaland.com.au/pages.php?id=6 and in the column on the left click roofing, then laserlite, then go to the gallery and open the pic in the top left corner in the gallery. That is a design, IMO, that could be blended harmoniously with your home.

10. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

11. heather

here's a link that I"ve posted elsewhere to photos of the inside -

http://q.metheny.home.att.net/home.html

The pine ceilings are done now with insulation in them -
    Drywall is almost all mudded & we will start cleaning up & painting soon.
    Then comes the flooring & the kitchen, which I still have no idea about! :stars:

12. heather

I obviously forgot to mention in my original post that we do have a deck

See here
    [​IMG]

13. heather

no, we walk into a foyer which enters the great room

see floor plan above

You guys are convincing me that this porch idea is getting worse & worse :stars:

I don't like the idea of it covered anyway, maybe I'll have to argue my points with hubby some more - I think our 3' 9" overhang might be enough

14. heather

Oh, I like!
    But I'm not sure I have the height to do it

Our exterior wall height is 8' to begin with, then with the 3'9" overhang, it slopes down even more, so I'm not sure I have the height to start a pergola under the overhang, unless we did some wacky excavating real quick!