Need flowering bushes - any ideas??

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by GoatsRus, Apr 18, 2005.

1. GoatsRus

GoatsRus TMESIS

We just put in a raised flower bed on the back of our house. The bed is approx 12 ft long by 10 ft wide. It butts up to the porch which is 5 ft off the ground. I'd like to put flowering bushes against the house, but don't want them growing over 5ft tall. We live in middle tennessee and would like something that can withstand the cold and possibly not lose it's leaves during the winter, but flower in the spring/summer. Any ideas?

2. okiemom

okiemom Well-Known Member

3. GoatsRus

GoatsRus TMESIS

We actually have dwarf azalea in the front of the house, however, they're not doing too well (1 died, two look pretty good and 3 are loaded with flowers but no leaves!) I had them when I lived in Florida and they loved the sandy soil so there was no maintenance - but here, they don't seem to like the clay like soil (limited drainage) even though we've composted, mulched and fertilized. I was thinking of maybe Peonies - not sure how they would do. What ever I plant, would get the afternoon sun as the bed is facing the west.

4. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

There isn't a large choice in the "evergreen" dept. of bushes as there are the ones that loose their leaves. Maybe a wintergreen...red berries? Oregon Grape...yellow flowers and then purple berries. Hydragena's loose their leaves but they are so beautiful I think it's worth it :) Maybe there is a good local nursey who has knowlegeable staff who could help you out. Best wishes!

5. JR05

JR05 Well-Known Member

We have spriraea on the side of the house. It is a green bush in the spring and mid summer blooms with pink or blue flowers.They require almost no upkeep,just trim back in the fall.Lilac is another one that requires little up keep and has a lovely smell in the spring.The fire Thorn is another one we have, it gets about 2 ft tall and has small flowers in the spring and green all summer then in Fall has little red berries for the birds and squirrils to eat. These are all shelf -contained plants and don't grow onto fences or porches that can ruin a new deck or abstuct the view.

JR05

6. GoatsRus

GoatsRus TMESIS

Thanks...I'll have to check on those plants listed. Oregon grape is supposed to be a great health food plant and lilacs.....my Mom used to grow those up north and they smelt sooooo good. :D

7. Triffin

Triffin Well-Known Member

For low growing evergreen flowering shrubs try

Mtn. Laurel
    Rhododendrons
    Holly

Triff ..

8. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

When I lived in NC, we had regular Azealeas, in every color posible. My Mom just cut the tops off and made them grow horizontal. They were at least 8 feet wide after 5 years. There are many dwarf roses on the market. I wish I lived far enough south to try them.