Need flooring ideas - new construction

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by heather, Jul 5, 2005.

1. heather

heather Well-Known Member

We were in need of budget help tonight & I needed a price on flooring -

One of our "generals" just called to tell us to use $10,000

He said that's "high end" stuff & until we pick out exactly what we want, he can't tell us exactly

THERE IS NO WAY

I need flooring ideas & alternatives -
    Give me some crazy ideas that I can get away with -
    Plus give me some normal ideas that are cheaper than 10k!

We have 1680 sq ft upstairs to cover - basement is concrete -
    Forget carpet - I know it's cheap, but ick -
    Vinyl sheet for bathrooms? and maybe kitchen? although kitchen is part of "Great Room"
    Laminate? Wood?
    How about cardboard - I hear that's cheap!
    ah! HELP!

2. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

If you use ceramic tile you will never have to replace it. On the other hand, you better like what you put down because you will be stuck with it.

In the kitchen, if you use a flooring different from the rest of the room it may or may not look nice. Changing the flooring can help to separate the kitchen, though.

We used a laminate that is made in Sweden (I think) and sold in Canada. If you use a laminate, do some research. The stuff sold in Home Depot is NOT the good stuff. THere is a reason it's cheaper.

3. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

Ever heard of Cork?
    Supposed to be good and inexpensive.

4. Terri in WV

Terri in WV Well-Known Member Supporter

south central Kentucky(finally out of all the snow
    I put laminate down in the bedrooms, doesn't look too bad but I hated laying it. I got utility grade hardwood for the family room. It came out looking pretty good but I had about 35% waste. By the time I got to the dining room we were out of funds so I painted the plywood and then made a "rug" out of fabric and coated it with poly. Turned out looking nice. It's the flooring that everyone comments on about how well they like it. I put a lot of sweat and money into the hardwood and they all like the temporary floor made from leftover paint and some scraps of fabric :rolleyes: If I'd known it would hold up so well(the fabric, not the paint) I'd have taken more time and made more of a pattern to cover the whole floor and not worry about future floor covering for it.

5. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

Tile shouldn't be that much,you can find tile for less than a $1 a square foot...

We have Saltillos in the kitchen and laundry,I love them as they are very rustic.

Bathrooms have some other tile.

We get tile cheap...can you tell???LOL

6. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

If you do a search for, flooring, you will get lots of good ideas, like my post from June 27, 2005:

Good Luck, if you do some work, you have lots of money to do your floor nicely,

Alex

7. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

We are in the process of building too.

For the whole downstairs of a 1900 sq. ft. cape cod, we
    are putting in solid oak flooring in greatroom, dining room (part of gr),
    kitchen, hallway to MB, master bedroom and foyer. The only two places
    downstairs the bathrooms will have linoleum. We will pay roughly $4,000.00
    installed.

Upstairs, is two kids rooms and a bath. We chose berber rug (later on we will do wood). Bath will be linoleum.

I would call a wood flooring expert and see the "real cost" for product and installation. Maybe your general doesn't like doing wood floors.

This was one of the "extra's" we picked for our place because i have lots of
    allergies and in the main floor carpet would look bad real fast.

8. shakeytails in KY

shakeytails in KY Well-Known Member

9. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

I've seen yellow pine hardwood flooring for sale online at www.lumberliquidators.com for .99 per sq. ft. I think I may go with this option at some point. Right now, budget will force me to paint and poly the plywood.

10. DAVID In Wisconsin

DAVID In Wisconsin Well-Known Member

I have painted many a floor. Be creative and you'll have the cheapest, best looking floor in town. You can paint large squares with painter's tape, you can paint almost any design you can imagine. You can even paint the floor a solid color, then load a paint brush with another color paint and shake it at the floor. Do this with 3 or 4 colors and everyone will want a floor like yours. Best thing is that you can generally find your paints in the mis-matched section of your hardware store very cheap. I have even used these techniques in houses I was putting up for sale. They look good and hold up well.

11. Hovey Hollow

Hovey Hollow formerly hovey1716

We are putting in bamboo flooring down right now. I got it at www.floorus.com
    Even with shipping it was still very reasonable. Was $1.95 per square foot with shipping it was about $2.20 per sq ft.
    In house that we just sold we put down sticky back tile that we got from Lowes for about .99 per sqft. This stuff was really neat. It looked like slate and wood and was even textured. It was not the shiny stuff that I usually think of when I think of sticky back tile. We got creative and made squares of 4 slate tiles surrounded by the wood tiles. Here is a photo.

[​IMG]

12. kmaproperties

kmaproperties Well-Known Member

hi i'm a builder in ohio, 1700 sq ft with no carpet is expensive. we figure 2.50 per sq. ft. but that is carpet and sheetgoods. change carpet to laminates and you are at 4.00 and hardwood is 6.00, ceramic is 4-9.00 depending on quality. Can you do the work yourself????? you can buy laminates from 1.49 to 3.99 and instal yourself, same with tile, 80 cents to 4.50. good luck Arnie

13. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

Sancraft! In the old days we took plywood and took a torch to it to darken the grain and then poly. Really looks nice. Except plywood isn't cheap anymore. :)

14. heather

heather Well-Known Member

thank you everyone - you've given me good ideas -

THANKS Arnie - Can we do the work ourselves?? Well, we could TRY! :monkey:
    We have a friend that we could call in also -

I have checked out Lumber Liquidators - thank you for the link -
    It seems the closest one is 3 hrs away.......hmmmppphhhh

How does a house budget get so out of whack!? I just can't sleep at night :eek: seriously.......Lord, help me.

I like the painting idea - will have to look for some pictures online -
    REALLY liked hovey's photo!

15. Hovey Hollow

Hovey Hollow formerly hovey1716

Heather,
    We did the work ourselves, in an afternoon. The hardest part was measuring and laying out how we wanted our pattern. We did it over a wood floor that was badly in need of refinishing. We have used the same stuff in the closets of our new house over concrete. They stick very, very well, and cut easily with a box knife. I couldn't afford bamboo flooring for whole house so I may do the same pattern in our masterbedroom, because I'm with you
    :eek: .......carpet.......ick!!!

We used:
    Novalis Moss Slate- 18 X 18 Vinyl tile
    and
    Novalis 4"x36" Self-Stick Natural Oak Vinyl Plank

16. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Home Depot gives free classes on installation of flooring. I got their tile on sale and friends gave me an installation party for some of it and some of it I paid a neighbor to lay, then grouted it myself. I used 18 inch tiles in a neutral stone color for the entire first floor which makes it look bigger. I love never having to redo the floors again! They clean up very easily with a mop and alcohol (3 swigs for me, 1 for the floor).

17. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

Heather,

You, or your husband, asked me: "How long were our floor boards dried?"

Answer, Duane Gonvick, one of the family who cut our boards thirty-three years ago said today, "They were stack-air dried for one year before they sold them to us."

Good Luck,

Alex

18. Janon

Janon 993cc Geo Metro

I think you'll see a new trend to wide plank wood flooring. Wider pieces, random widths, no tongue and groove, softer woods such as pine, more imperfections, face nailed with no effort to hide the nail heads, etc. In my opinion, it looks great and has a great deal of character.

Some of todays hardwood floor are too uniform, too perfect and too consistant in colour - which some folks don't like.

cheers,

19. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

All of our floors. livingroom, kitchen, bedrooms, bathrooms, etc., are made from old wide pine boards. The boards were torn off of old tobacco barns. The floors are real rustic, so they're not for every one. The fires used to cure the tobacco gave the boards a nice rich patina. The boards are surface nailed with square head nails.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. fearlessemily

fearlessemily Member