Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Icelandic Sheep
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I don't usually post here, but I'm beginning to become interested in keeping a few rabbits for their fur. I'm learning to spin :) And my son has wanted a pet rabbit for more than a year now so... I think I'd like a few rabbits.

Questions:

What kind of rabbit should I get for the wool? I'd like a high quantity fiber producer.

How many would I need to keep to have a useable amount of wool?

Are there any dual purpose rabbits? 'Cause I'm not necessarily opposed to eating them...

Are any of you in or near NE Ohio? :)

Thanks,

:p RedTartan

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I'm in eastern Ohio near Cambridge. I have a list on Yahoo called OhioAngora - contact me privately with your email addy, and I'll send you an invitation - or just go there and sign up. There are about 85 members - one of us have to be closer to you. :)
I have both French and Satin angoras. They are both easy to take care of, and have commercial type bodies, so can be used for meat. The French Angora kits grown pretty fast - 5# by 9 weeks - sometimes more. They don't have quite the meat carcass of a NZW or Californian, but certainly make a nice meal.

English Angoras are the smallest, and also take the most care, since with their wooly feet and ears and face,it takes more grooming to keep them from matting.
They also only mature to 5.5-7#, so are not considered a meat rabbit. Naturally, you could still eat them, just not that efficient a feed conversion rate.

Giant angoras are the largest, and are kinda in the middle as far as ease of grooming. They only come in white.

There are also Germans, which I don't know that much about. They are raised for their very high fiber production rate. They are normally white, but many breeders have bred in French so that they have colors, often referred to as German Hybrids. They have a commercial type body.

The English, French, Satin, and Giant are recognized by ARBA and can be shown and registered. The Germans have their own registry based on wool production, but cannot show at normal ARBA shows.

I got my angoras first to use the fiber for spinning, and then found I also enjoyed showing. Ohio is a "hotbed" of rabbit fanciers - you could go to a show nearly every weekend. :) So if you think you might be interested in that facet of raising rabbits for a nice family friendly hobby, it would be wise to start out with good quality, purebred stock.

TTYS
Lisa at Somerhill
www.somerhillfarm.com

·
Ex-homesteader
1,508 Posts
But English have really great dispositions. :angel:

:D

In all seriousness, I'd get English only if you don't mind grooming and you're looking for a pet-type personality.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts