Need Fencing FAST! What Kind?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by minnikin1, Nov 10, 2004.

1. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

What would you buy to set up a small, preferably mobile pen for sheep?

I don't have a lot of time to spend - We have SO MUCH TO DO and winter is
    bearing down on us!

Are there ready made electric fence kits?

2. twstanley

twstanley Well-Known Member

Yes there are, my in-laws use a mobile electric fence mesh to contain and protect their chickens.

< searches the web >

Ahh, here ya go:

http://www.maxflex.com/Nets_page1.HTM

Hope that helps.

3. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

4. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

Pallets work pretty good. Do you have a place to get them for free? I used them when we first got the goats then I tore them apart and they make nice little houses for the goats now.

5. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

We use Premier's systems BUT (sorry) electric portable mesh does NOT work under a snow load. Worse, the buggers can be dangerous because your sheep will tangle in them if they're not afraid of the shock.

Fast and furious fencing: pallets. use hindges and bolt them together on their sides. Use barn walls, garage walls, house walls, whatever you have to. Remember, they don't need a lot of space, just a little "stretch your legs" and out of the wind.

Snow fence: not good long term but will work short term.

Field fence stretched tree to tree, garage to house, etc. Unflake and staple. Heavy slogging work, but it will do the trick temporarily.

Premier fencing panels. Expensive, but you can make a portable fence out of them and reuse them for other purposes later.

We built a fence using whatever we had last year: picnic tables on end, rolls of chicken wire, pallets... even got a truck cab in there... it wasn't pretty (ok, it was butt ugly!) but it worked for the purpose, which was to keep sheep on one side and dogs on the other.

T

6. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

cattle panels clipped to T-posts can be quick and yet mobile, require minimum tools

7. Peanut

Peanut Member

We had three sheep that were kept in page(sp?) wire with wooden posts. They still managed to escape once in a while, but it held them in better than anything else we tried. They never stayed in the electric fence. They'd duck their heads under the wire and walk right through.