Need extra money. Monthly yard sale question?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by r.h. in okla., Feb 7, 2005.

1. Big Rockpile question about making extra money got me to thinking about different things to offer at our monthly yardsale. Yesterday we had our first monthly yardsale and we made a little over $200. on just junk! Well we kind of decided to start having a yardsale on the first weekend of every month so long as we can find things to sell. So I need some ideals on things we could offer along with our junk. I've been thinking about harvesting some wild dogwood and redbud sapplings to see if anyone would be interested in them. Also, thought about starting vegetable plants and maybe flowers too. I hope Rockpile reads this it might could be of interest to him and anyone else who desires extra money.

2. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

I don't know much about how to make money with yardsales (where you're the seller), but my former neighbor made amazing finds on her weekly rounds to sales. It's her retirement hobby, yardsaling. She pretty much furnished her whole house with yardsale items - we're talking anything from oriental carpets to antique furniture and old oil lamps. Once a year, she held her own sale and got rid of the items she didn't want to keep, which brought her enough profit to go out all next year and do it again :) Considering that this is a rural area, I still can't believe the kinds of things she found.

I don't do Ebay and don't know for sure what sells for how much, but I bet she could have made a small fortune with quite a few of the items if she'd had access to the internet and sold them there. Maybe that's another option for you... find treasures and sell them via the internet. I did donate a little old camera to my favorite dog rescue, and they listed it on Ebay and sold it to a woman in Japan who paid good money for it. At a yardsale, nobody would have given me more than a couple dollars for it.

Then there's also the option of looking for high-end clothing at thrift shops and listing them online. I bought an Abercrombie&Fitch sweater for 50 cents at the St. Vincent de Paul store in town, along with more silk shirts than I could ever wear out ($1/bag sale), hand-knitted sweaters, etc. etc. They always have a ton of designer jeans in near-new condition, fancy blouses and dresses, leather coats, linen blazers, you name it. This is in a town of a few thousand... I'm drooling at the thought of what one might find in the city thrift stores!
    Something to think about if you're looking to raise your income.

3. Cindy in NY

Cindy in NY Well-Known Member Supporter

We have some unusual houseplants that we root clippings of over the winter or replant the babies. We generally sell all we pot up at our summer yard sale for $2 - $4 apiece for the cost of some potting soil. We use yogurt cups for small plants and reuse larger pots from plants we have purchased.

4. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

If you are doing regularly scheduled yard sales, make sure you are not liable for sales tax on the sales. In many states, if you have more than a certain limited number of yard sales/rummage sales per year (maybe 3 or so?), you are required to collect sales tax. In Wisconsin they are starting to crack down on this.

Jim