Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

im at a loss of what to do for two turkeys and if the antibiotics are the right ones:

1- was attacked by a raccoon and has an injured wing and a hole in her neck. When she eats or drinks it comes out the hole. I put gauze and vet wrap on the neck and am giving her tetroxyHCA-280. She's eating and drinking but not really improving after 3 days. She wont walk, but seems ok to sit outside. At night she's in a crate. Should I change the antibiotics to something else? Is there anything else to do for her? I thought about sewing up the hole, but im guessing there's also a hole in the esophagus.

2- nothing obvious wrong except for a closed eye (no runny eyes or nostrils). Will not eat and im giving food and tetroxyHCA-280 with a syringe. He went off about 3 days after the raccoon attacked. Its been 3 days in the sick unit and all the others seem fine. Again, I wonder if the antibiotics are the best route.

I cant find a vet that takes turkeys close by and Im sure it will be expensive. I appreciate any advice from all you experienced turkey owners out there.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
1,475 Posts
Way back when, my kids' duck got attacked by a dog and we ended up taking it to the local vet. It's crop was ripped and the food dripped out. The vet sewed it up, gave it "a shot" of I don't remember what, and sent it home. It was doing fine in a few days, eating and drinking well.
Kit

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Birds heal really well from tears like this. If you want to avoid the vet bill, bring her into your kitchen counter, get out a thread and needle and sew up the holes. I've done it several times, although I must say, never in the crop area, only skin. But they stand quite patiently and I think you may find you can do a decent job on her. Don't sew so tight that the wound can't drain if it needs to. The crop should sew quite well. If her esophagus is torn, that may not be so easy, but if you can do it, try to keep it the same size as it is, because if you restrict it she'll never be able to eat like normal. Feathers have antibacterial properties, so I wouldn't immediately start antibiotics with her. Just see how she does. If it's only skin and crop, and you sew them up, I think she'll be fine.

As for the tom, I don't think antibiotics are necessary if he doesn't show an injury. Just let him be and baby him and see if he comes around. He may have an internal injury and sometimes you just can't fix things. I hope he comes around for you.

·
Registered
841 Posts
#1 i would butcher i have never stitched up a bird and would not have the first clue of how to even try, and #2 i would keep feeding the antibiotics and see how it turns out sounds like he has some sort of infection

1 - 5 of 5 Posts