Need dog help ASAP..thanks

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mtfarmchick, Apr 29, 2004.

1. mtfarmchick

mtfarmchick Well-Known Member

My brother has a dog. 6 mo female Queensland terrier cross.
    She has excessive drooling which is clear and very thick.
    Vomit is a foamy, yellow/orange color.
    When she walks she staggers and appears very weak. The only time she does walk is when she goes over to the conner to vomit.
    She won't let anyone(including her sister) near her.
    I have a pretty good idea what this is but wanted to get a second opinion.
    The vet hasn't been much help. They won't give any advice over the phone and my brother can't afford the $60 visit right now, not to mention all the tests.

2. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

It sounds like parvo or corona virus. They need to get fluids into the dog, pedialite with a syringe as soon as possible. Dogs die quickly from dehydration with these viruses.

3. kosh

kosh Well-Known Member

I agree, sounds like Parvo.. I had a pup a number of years ago develop parvo. He caught it while in the shelter, because he had not been vaccinated for it. You need to get that dog to the vet ASAP. Parvo is a bad virus (even if it's not parvo the dog should see a vet, it sounds serious). It is also highly contagious to other dogs. When my dog had it, he had to be Quarantined at the vet and he barely made it through. It also gives them a very high fever which, if not treated quickly can result in brain damage.

good luck,

4. june02bug

june02bug Well-Known Member

Yep, take her to the vet and be honest about the situation. See if they will work with you and take payments. We had to do that in an emergency once. If that vet wont work with you call another one.

5. If she hasnt been vaccinated, and given her age, parvo certainly may be the cause. Signs are usually vomiting and later diarrhea too. I can not stress enough how important it is to keep her away from your other young dog until you find out. Also dont let the other pups around any of her stool,etc.
    You need to clean areas she has been in, food bowls they eat out, etc, with a good water/bleach hot bath.
    It is hard to diagnose anything like this just over the net. Stool samples and blood samples usually need to be taken. I hope you are able to get some help. As hard as it sounds, in cases like this, it is better the Vet doesnt give a lot of help over the phone. How can a DVM truelly diagnose when dont have the information needed?
    Until then, keep her away from other dogs, especially the young ones. And try to keep fluids in her, if you can. Only thing that comes to mind over the counter is Pedialyte. That isnt a real help though in cases such as Parvo, just a stab in the dark and hoping it will help until you can get help. (better than nothing)
    Sub Q and IV fluids are usually what are used for Parvo patients as far as fluids go. (IVs probably in this case, by just reading)

One thing that always struck me with Parvo personally is how lethargic the pups were. So weak and they just looked desperatly sick.

There are other things that could be wrong with her, it's just that Parvo is seen in younger dogs and a bad one.
    Try to get some help and best of luck to yall!

6. MomInGa

MomInGa Well-Known Member

oops, that was my post. I cant seem to stay signed on.

7. nappy

nappy Well-Known Member Supporter

Is this dog wearing a flea collar or has flea/tick medication been used on it? A few minutes after placing a flea collar on DD's cat, it began to froth at the mouth. Luckily we were right there to take it off as the frothing stopped immediately. Just a thought - probably not the problem though.

Nappy

8. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

could the dog have got into some anti-freeze...same signs as parvo...y'all need to get the dog into the vet....call yer local humane society they have vets that will tend to yer dogs needs at a discount and will work with ya....good luck...dale anne

9. mtfarmchick

Thank you all very much for the input. I told my brother what ya'll thought and I'm not sure what he's going to do.

10. Ozarkguy

Ozarkguy Well-Known Member

I wouldn't guess parvo. You didn't mention diarrhea which is one of the first signs of parvo. The yellow/orange vomit is "bile" (stomach acid) which is not uncommon with sick critters. While I wouldn't rule out distemper, being a six month old puppy, chances are he may have eaten something he shouldn't have. :(

Tell bro to check with the County Animal Control by him. They have all kinds of plans to help folks that can't afford vet bills.

Good luck with your sick puppy,

Ozarkguy

11. lynpea

lynpea Well-Known Member

Has she been vaccinated for rabies? Has she been wormed recently? Parasites are the fist things I always suspect. We had a beagle that we removed from my brothers hunting kennel, that was so weak and sick that he was just going to shoot him. I used worm meds on him two days in a row and that seemed to turn him around. This dog was way down too, skinny, vomitting and couldn't stand. What's the condition of the pups coat? That's always a good indicator for me too.

12. mtfarmchick

I will check with my brother on those symptoms. He's in AZ and I'm in MT so it's hard to keep in touch. Thanks a bunch!!

13. countrygirl26

countrygirl26 Active Member

I used to volunteer at our local humaine society and they were helpful to many people who could not afford to take a pet to the vet. They would either have their vet help or refer them to a vet that would take payments. Not many vets will give advice over the phone, but we have a really nice vet that has helped us out over the phone , but when it sounds as serious as this it needs to see a vet.

Hope everything works out....