Need Cheap Car Insurance! Help!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Tango, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

With no violations, no claims, and only a 94 Jeep to insure for the minimum required by law, companies are asking me $363 - $390 for a six month policy. I searched for months to find a $288 policy only to have them request another $90 when the cards came in the mail today due to the agent writing up the wrong policy. Can anyone help me find insurance to fit my clean driving record and my current state of under employment?

2. Hughes

Hughes Well-Known Member

We have found Shelter Ins. to be the cheapest....I only pay 350 for 6 months with full coverage for my 2000 Dodge 3500.....We get a small discount having our home insured with them too, and a multi-vehicle discount....but still if youonly need liability, surely it should be cheaper.

3. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Thanks Hughes. I just looked them up- unfortunately for me, they don't work in Florida :waa:

4. RAC

RAC Guest

It's impossible to compare rate quotes from people on any board. Why? Because there are too many variables to consider. Age, sex, car, driving, location, credit risk, etc., etc. You have to present the exact same info to every company (or the indie agent) in order to get any meaningful numbers. Really.

And what do people consider "full coverage"? Every state has different minimums, and believe me, they are really low, considering how much damage is caused by a major fender bender on newer cars. Everyone wants to just pay for minimum coverage, but let someone else with minimum coverage hit them and suddenly things are different..... ;-)

The easiest way to lower any insurance premium is to go for a higher deductible--I know people who have $2500 deductibles--and self-insure up to that point. As also was pointed out, having other policies with the same company will help.

5. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

RAC I've had full coverage on my Jeep since it was new. I've always carried very good insurance- just in case. Now I can't afford just in case. I have a clean driving record and I want a break while I find better emplyoment. I've tried the companies in the phone book and the ones I was recommended to by friends and family, and now I'm looking for companies I may not have heard of.

6. RAC

RAC Guest

If you or your husband is in the military, you can look into USAA. Sometimes college alumni associations can negotiate discounts also.

7. Daryll in NW FLA

Daryll in NW FLA Well-Known Member

Hi Marcia, Check out some of the cut rate places, Florida has a bunch of them- ours is $226 for 6 months with two vehicles-minimum coverage. Atlanta casulty out of Atlanta is the one we use (we're in north Florida). Of course both our vehicles are 1984's -Ford f 150 and a Toyota corolla. Before 911 it was $217 for a year and then they went to 6 month only policies and basically doubled the price! I'm about ready to get a horse and buggy! It's a rip off no matter how you look at it. Good luck! and drive careful. Daryll in NW FLA

8. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Thank you Daryll! :D I will check them out and let you know. Oh I hope, I hope, I hope.

9. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Oddly enough, Allstate has proven to be the cheapest for me. :confused:

I pay around $240 every six mos on a 1999 vehicle. Now I did up the deductibles as high as i could, and dropped anything but liability and medical. I'd carry full coverage but I figure if I total it, I'll go buy some old Chevy for $500 that has an engine so simple, even a nincompoop like me could fix it. :D

I also have a near perfect driving record - one parking lot accident during an ice storm in -- ? 1994 or something. ? It was no fault, in any case.

I shopped around last summer to see if I could get it cheaper and I couldn't. But the rate may also depend on the agent. In any case, don't discount some of the bigger outfits.

10. daeve

daeve Well-Known Member

Have you checked with Farmers Insurance? They saved me about $90 every 6 months over Allstate. With one truck (80 toyota) liability and 5000 medical i paid about 125 every 6 months. When I added a 88 Lincoln Town Car and a 77 Ford F350 flatbed, the Toyota, as primary, dropped to 96. The Ford and the Lincoln are 123 each. I'm in Alabama. Their website is http://www.farmers.com/FarmComm/index2.html

HTH
    Dave

11. Slim

Slim Member

Beside your driving record many companies now use a credit score as well to figure the rate. Alot may have to do with the state you live in. I used to be an agent with Shelter Insurance in Indiana. When I got promoted and moved to Kentucky my auto insurance went up about $400 per year on 3 cars. Alot of agents will not tell you about the credit scoring. If they ask for your social security number that is proably what they are doing. Secondly inquire about the liablity limits. With Shelter it actually helps to carry high liablity limits in some cases, you end up with a better rate. Good luck with your search. Slim

12. idontno

idontno Well-Known Member

Here in Kansas I pay 96.00 six months ...Farm Bureau

13. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Thanks countrygrrrl. I had Allstate my entire life until I moved back to Florida. They weren't insuring anything for a while due to Hurricane Andrew. I always found their rates competitive and their service excellent. Right now Allstate is not the cheapest way for me to go however.

14. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Thanks Dave, I'll check them out also. I appreciate your help.

15. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Hi Slim, thanks for your help. My credit rating isn't perfect due to being without a fulltime job for a while now. I am offering to pay cash for a policy to get a lower rate. Florida is considered a risky state due to the number of uninsured drivers. I don't want to be one of them but frankly I can see how some peope can't afford car insurance. Still, I live in a rural county and the rate shouldn't be as high as it is on the east coast or metropolitan areas. I have a fewmore options to look at before my time is up though.

16. Sandra Nelson

Sandra Nelson Well-Known Member

Try Austin Mutual. We're insuring our van for $180.00 for six months here in rural Minnesota, liability only.

17. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Thank you Sandra :) . I am going to look them up, sounds like my kind of rate.