Need cat advice please

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by cjb, Dec 11, 2006.

1. cjb

cjb Well-Known Member Supporter

Last summer, I posted about two kittens that I saved that were tossed in a ditch and nearly killed. they are now about 6-7 months old and our pets completely.

We have a large room in our house that has not been finished yet (particle board flooring etc) and alot of our remodeling junk is in there. We put the cats in there over night so they don't get into mischief. They have a litter box in there to share and it is kept scooped and cleaned. However, frequently, one of the cats will poo on the floor right next to the litter box - which compeltely disgusts me. I kept thinking "great, now I'm going to have to replace that part of the particle board.

Now, we've discovered that they have peed a couple places in that room, including a puddle right by the door into the rest of the house. We've tried putting them out for most of the day, changing the litter more often etc. and one of them is STILL peeing on the floor. Now the floor is ruined, I'm sure and they did it close enough to the door that it soaked through to the carpet on the other side. I love my animals but I will NOT live with pee/poo in the house. I have threatened to just get rid of them but I don't want to and my kids are super attached. Both male and female have been spayed/neutered.

Any advice? I can't have this happening and, of course, now they wil just pee where they already have. We put tin foil over that spot to discouraged them and they peed on the foil. I put a box over that area last night and they pooped right next to the litter box.

AHHHHHH HELP!!!!! If we put them outside fulltime, we may as well not keep them as pets. The coyotes would prob eat them anyway.

2. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Sometimes as cats get grown they have a problem using the same ltter box. A second litter box may have helped, but now you may have a cat with a bad habit.

You can move all of the junk out of the room and open all the windows, and use a fan to blow air out of the room. Pour a solution of bleach over the floor. This will nuetralize the ammonia, but is toxic. You can also use a product called Nature's Miracle on the spots. White vinegar is also suppoed to help. In any event, I'd keep the cats out of that room.

Is there some reason the cats can't be outside at night? If you know they are engating in their bad habits after you have gone to bed, put them out when you go to bed. As long as they have some shelter, like under a porch, they will be fine.

3. hoofinitnorth

hoofinitnorth Well-Known Member

There are lots of potential triggers to this behavior - the first and most important is illness. PLEASE consider taking the cats in for a check-up to be sure they don't have a urinary tract infection or aren't trying to pass crystals or stones. Sometimes a simple adjustment in diet (off dry food, onto wet food only, adding vitamin c (ascorbic acid) in powder or crushed pill forms, etc.) is all it takes.

Next, the cats could be very upset with their surroundings. In general, they don't like change and they don't like new things in their area - especially if they weren't given the opportunity to make it their own space before you put all that other stuff in there. ;) Some cats will go years without a problem and then you bring in a new chair or forget to hang up your coat and they go balistic.

Maura's suggestion on a second litter box is a good one too.

Or a different kind of litter.

There are other possibilities but try those first and discuss it with your vet and you will probably be on the road to remedy in no time!

4. cjb

I'm not sure when they're are offending but I suspect at night because they're either outside during the day or my daughter is carrying them around. I cannot leave them out at night because of the raccoons and coyotes.

Our barn cats are out all day then are locked in the barn at night. I could do the same with these but they are more personal pets and have not been exposed to the other cats that much.

I will, however, if we can't take care of this. They both just had checkups but I didn't know about this problem and didn't review it with the vet. I could do that.

I'm sad about the possibility of getting rid of them but don't have the time/money to keep cats that ruin my house.

5. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

I think that the cats are trying to convey something to you and they can't talk. I wonder if it is because there is only one litterbox and they're in this room and can't get out. Or it is a problem of the type of litter.

I'll think on it...

6. cjb

Thanks - please do think about it and get back to me. Its so depressing to see that puddle by the door and an occasional poo by the box.

7. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

How big is your box? Maybe going with a great big box might help. I personally use a rubbermaid container instead of traditional litter box. Try covered and uncovered. Try different types (not just brands) of litter. Try multiple boxes. Keep the area where they are peeing unaccessible. Clean with an enzymatic cleaner. Put food where they are peeing inappropriately (they don't like to eat where they eliminate). There's a few ideas to try.

8. Wildfire_Jewel

Wildfire_Jewel Well-Known Member Supporter

My 2 big males routinely "miss" the box if they go in one of the smaller ones w/o a top. Even with a top they manage to pee out the crack where the top and bottom meet. I now set it inside a large flat tub to catch any misses and prevent the floor from being damaged. I also invested in one super jumbo that is 2x as deep and has a cover as well (so far they seem to be keeping it in that box). We also have discovered in the past that one cat was guarding and attacking any other cat that tried to use a litter box (they were all in one area). We now have one litter box on the main floor, one on the ground floor and 4 in the basement. I believe they recommend having AT LEAST one box per cat.
    Good luck!! I love my cats but the pee smell is just horrendous to get out of anything. OH I second the recommendation for Nature's Miracle. It really does remove the smell IF you follow the directions
    Melissa

9. Ardie/WI

To remove that smell from particle board mix equal amounts of hydrogen peroxide and vinegar and use it generously on the areas where the cats urinated. BEFORE USING IT ON ANY FABRIC OR CARPETING, TEST A SMALL INCONSPICUOUS SPOT.

Last summer, we had a problem with Brat the Cat spraying in the house. It started suddenly and we couldn't figure out what was going on. We had two cats then and two litterboxes. I routinely cleaned the areas with the above solution.

Golden Mom brought up the suggestion that Brat was bothered by the smell of the outside cats. We tried to keep the outside cats urine smell off the doors. Then, one day, I asked Roger if he was putting enough litter in the litterboxes. I said they needed at least 2-3 inches deep. He had not been doing that. Since he does now, Brat has not peed anywhere but in the box.

10. kirsten

kirsten Well-Known Member

Its the boy!
    One is a boy right?
    All boy cats, neutered at the correct time or not, will go through a period of peeing and pooping in the wrong places for some reason. They will get over it. Shortest period I had was about 2 weeks, longest was about a month and a half, maybe even more but that was exascerbated by new puppy in the house too. I have raised 3 boys and 3 girls and the 3 boys all went through that and never the girls. It will pass. UNless you have just recently started to enclose them at night in which case, it could be an outright protest. :) kirsten

11. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

Huh, I've never had issues with ANY of my boys. My oldest female had an issue with crystals and urinated inappropriately and my second female had a brief issue of inappropriate urination fairly recently (long after the oldest female got better and in a different house).

12. Willowynd

Willowynd Well-Known Member

I know how home remodels go- you have to try to keep the cats safe and out of the things you are working on. I went through the same thing with my cat when I put her in a spare room that had the excess stuff in it when she first came back (long story- if your interested search the posts). That had carpet and I wound up taking the carpet up and into the yard where I soaked it with nilodor in a hose sprayer. I left it dry and meanwhile cleaned the subfloor with nilodor too. Nilodor will get out tomcat pee out of a matress- I swear by it!
    The cat I wound up crating in a med dog crate for a few days until she was using her cat box again- then moved up to the large dog crate. After a week or so, we had a trial run, but once she was back in that room she went back to the same spot. So back to the crate we went for a week and then I made sure she could not have access to that room. I am hoping after awhile I will not have to worry about keeping her out of there, but for now she is doing good. I did have to buy her a larger litter pan too. At the time she came back I had just gotten cat free so had none on hand- was using a round basin. She is the only cat in the house too. When I had many cats, the only time I had issues was with unaltered males and females in season- except for the 2 times my old cat had a urinary tract infection- pretty easy to tell when there was blood in the urine and it was in the middle of my bed. Her plan worked- I noticed very quickly LOL

13. Selena

Selena proud to be pro-choice

I too echo getting another litterbox. It could be that one of the cats won't let the other one into the box, thus forcing the "bad" litterbox habit. Or the one cat is bothering the other he is "answering the call of nature". A hooded box (maybe 2) might be the answer.

14. Ardie/WI

I'm betting that's what is going on!

15. Selena

Selena proud to be pro-choice

I have littermates, brother and sister - while the female is a bit smaller, she can kick his butt when she is so inclined. But she tends to put up with way too much IMHO. I had to separate them during feeding time when they were little as he would bully into her bowl and as to counteract this, she'd eat so fast she'd get sick. There were times when both were in the litterbox together. Since they are both in the same room, one cannot "sneak" to the box without the other knowing it.