Need bull for Jersey cow

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Hilly Acre Farm, Nov 21, 2004.

1. Hilly Acre Farm

Hilly Acre Farm Active Member

We just purchased a Jersey cow & she hasn't been rebred. We bought her calf during the summer, who is 8 months old now. We need to get the cow rebred. Years ago when we had a Jersey, we could find NO one to do AI. We planned on getting a Dexter bull calf in the spring (we had Dexters for a few years & loved them). However, we want to get the older cow bred. I don't really have the money to put into a mature Dexter bull right now. Also, they let the cow dry up, and we really want milk. Would breed her to just about anything right now,though the calves we will just be using for meat. Any ideas? Anyone have a Dexter bull they would like to lease for a little while? I don't want anything mean, and don't like horns, but would do horns for awhile if need be. I'll check tomorrow w/ a neighbor to see if he knows any possibilities close by. Will also call the extension agent to see if he can put me in touch with someone concerning AI.

Thanks,

Kim

2. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

*psst* Where are you located?

When we do clean up we usually pick up a young angus bull from our cow hauler and he brings it back and takes it away when we are done...but we are wary of doing that because of Johne's now. We are currently using our crossbred bull. He is 3/4 Jersey (out of Jace) and 1/4 Norwegian Red.

3. Hilly Acre Farm

Oops, sorry :) We are located 1 hr. north of Indianapolis.

4. Suzanne

Suzanne Well-Known Member

I would get ahold of some Jersey cattle people in your area. We are currently feeding and caring for a young registered Jersey bull in the exchange of his services, isn't that just wonderful.... Helps them with their feed bill if they do not need the bull at their farm. Look up the Jersey Cattle Assoc. online and they have a list of farms in all the states. Hope you can find someone..... :)

5. Hilly Acre Farm

Thanks Suzanne. I'll see what I can come up with thru there.

I talked to the extension agent & he sent me to a vet he said would know of anyone who did AI. The vet said there wasn't anyone he knew of around here that did AI anymore. I'll keep searching.

Kim

6. Hilly Acre Farm

I am officially the happiest woman in the world. My neighbor across the street stopped by today. I had left him a message yesterday to see if he had any ideas of where to locate a bull. I knew he had cattle, but thought it was just feeder calves, at another farm. Anyway, said he has 2 Angus bulls. That would have been my preference to breed her with, since we would use the calf for meat, but I wasn't going to be picky. He's going to bring one over & we can use him for however long we like. I asked him what he wanted for stud service & he said "absolutely nothing". I could have kissed that guy :)

Kim

7. Suzanne

Suzanne Well-Known Member

Isn't that super :D Alot of wonderful folks out there....

8. Phyllis

Phyllis New Member

Hi Kim: Isn't Angus an awful big breed to breed a Jersey. Might give her a hard time calving.

Phyllis

9. LuckyGRanch

LuckyGRanch Well-Known Member

As long as it's not her first freshening...which it's not, Angus is a good choice. Another breed often used by Jerseymen is White Face.

10. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

We have usually used Angus as clean up bulls for our Jerseys...these were almost always first time fresheners as well. Older first time fresheners generally, but if they were over 15 months they were usually in with the bull.
    They usually do fine. We did lose one bull calf, but his dam was under two (she had gotten in with the bull after we had seperated the younger ones out).
    Jerseys usually have a good deal of ease when it comes to calving.

Congrats on finding a bull so close and easily accesible. :)

11. genebo

genebo Well-Known Member Supporter

Kim,

A Dexter is a good choice. Not only does your cow become fresh, but the calf should be small enough that there should be a trouble-free birth.

An added benefit is that there is a market for the resulting calf if it is a heifer. The smaller size would make her desirable to a number of small landholders or small cow fanciers.

Genebo
    Paradise Farm

12. Hilly Acre Farm

Thanks everyone. Yes, the Angus would have been a good cross. However, lots of things have transpired in the last few days. We sold a trio of registered Dexters 2 yrs. ago to some people from the forum. They are in TN. She emailed me on Wed. saying that they were done with the bull & wanted to see if we wanted him back. YESSSSSSS, was the answer. We LOVED that bull. He's beautiful, SO easy to work with, & no horns (which I REALLY like). They sold him to us for much less than they could get more him even as meat. They wanted him to have a good home though. So, we got back very late last night (Fri.), with Buddy. He's out with our Jersey cow now. It was a VERY long trip, but well worth it. Buddy looks like a miniature buffalo, he's SO cute. I imagine he will die of old age here this time. Even if we didn't have any cows, he's so gentle, and quite the conversation piece, we'd probably keep him as a lawn ornament. We are SOOOO happy to have him home. We will put the bull calves in the freezer, but will probably sell the heifer calves, since all the parents are registered. They will be registered as Irish Jerseys.