Need an understanding ear

Discussion in 'Goats' started by nduetime, Dec 26, 2006.

1. nduetime

nduetime I am a Christian American Supporter

I really just need an understanding ear right now. My sweet little 5 month old Saanen mix doeling was found dead this evening. She was fine earlier today and I see no sign of any type of trauma so I do not know what killed her. She has always been healthy and happy. She usually follows me all over the farm while I do chores. I am really going to miss her. I feel really bad because I think that if I had not been gone today I may have seen what the problem was (bloat or whatever???!) and been able to save her. I am kicking myself for being gone. Darn, she was a sweet little thing. :angel:

2. trob1

trob1 Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss! Sadly I know just how you feel. Time does help.

3. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

oh my how sad! I hate that fealing. i found my 9 year old doe back one March morning, I felt so bad because I had my brother feed the goats (a normal pratice) and didn't check her myself that night - it is hard when sudden like that.

(((((hugs))))) from NJ

4. nduetime

thanks you guys, my Dh just doesn't understand why I feel bad. He is nice enough to all the animals but does not get emotionally attached as easily as I do.

5. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

That is unfortunate but glad you came to get some shoulders to lean on. We all need that at times like these

6. mare

mare Well-Known Member Supporter

sorry to hear about your doe--that bites. dont be to hard on yourself ya cant be there at all times. take care

7. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

So sorry about your doe. Things like that are gonna happen. Don't beat yourself up. But I know how bad it can make you feel. Best wishes.

8. enjoy the ride

enjoy the ride Well-Known Member

How sad for you- I'm so sorry.

9. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

nduetime I'm so sorry to hear of this happening. If you like to know what happen you should go to the vet for them to do test. Anything could had happen it could been bloat or something other.

Again I'm so sorry to hear of this happening I know just how you feel.

10. nduetime

Thanks again. yes, I am up again tonight. Just cannot sleep, you know how that is. You just keep going over it. So far I am thinking it was bloat or she was overdue to be wormed (she wasn't), or one of the bigger goats stepped on her or something weird. Her best pal was the alpine wether and he is the size of a very small pony. I can sit on him and my toes barely touch the ground. He is a BIG boy. Anyway, I will never know because I really cannot afford the cost of a necropsy (sp). It is just not in the budget right now. All the others seem fine, no bloat or anything weird.

11. Teacupliz

Teacupliz Well-Known Member

sorry for your loss-- at one point or another we all go threw it. It could of been a genic bad heart, worms kill silent-- even if they are wormed , thinkg happen- On the farm more to love more to loss.
    Hugs-Liz in NY
    Teacup Farm

12. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

Goats can die from strokes too.

13. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

I'm very sorry for your loss. It's always the favorite, isn't it? Sigh!

NeHi

14. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

Trish, I am so sorry for your loss. PLEASE don't beat yourself up, like the others already said. It could of happened in the middle of the night when you were home. Sometimes it is out of or hands. God has his reasons, and sometimes it is hard to know whay it happens. Just think she is in a better place. Please don't think there was anything you could have done. Even if you WERE home you still might not of been able to save her. Just think of all the wonderful times you had with her.
    I TOTALLY understand what you mean about your DH. Mine is great also but he just doesn't get it. I have only ever lost a new born baby so I have been lucky in that way, but when I sell them, I am a mess also. My daughter and I cry for an hour. Plaese take these hugs :grouphug: from CO.

15. nduetime

I just knew you would all be understanding about this.

Yes, it does always seem to be the favorite. I was feeling bad also because I have a doe I am always having problems with and thought Gee, why not her/Then I felt bad because nothing is her fault.

I am really beat being up all night but I appreciate the way you have all made me feel that there is really nothing you can do and we cannot be here all the time. What really tromps on my heart is that I am almost always here. I might be gone one day a week or maybe one in two weeks usually. I do feel better though and I thank you all for that.

16. nduetime

here is the little angel just a week or so ago.

[​IMG]

17. mare

mare Well-Known Member Supporter

18. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm so sorry, Trish. I, too, have lost a loved little goat (more than once, unfortunately), and I understand the feelings of "if only", or "what if". The truth is, no matter how well we care for them, sometimes animals just...die. We don't know why or what we could have done differently, and sometimes there is nothing that we could have done differently. The only thing we can to is to take a good look at our overall management practices and use it as an opportunity to improve them if needed. If you are already doing fecals and worming appropriately, vaccinating on schedule, feeding them well and providing shelter, etc, then you just have to let it go and try to remember the good times with that sweet little girl. ((((hugs)))).

19. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

She was a beauty. Was she part Alpine?

20. nduetime

yep, Saanen and alpine. She was a cutie.