Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am rather new to raising goats and could use some advise. how do you know when you have exhausted all resources when trying to save a baby goat. Had one nibbled by a dog and he has been to the vet numerous times. The vet says "if his legs get cold it's over". They are not cold but I can't get the swelling to stay down. I am using epsom salt poultice he has had 4 rounds of antibiotics. And still has swelling. I am keeping him in the house trying to give him the best chance but it is breaking my heart and I am stubborn and don't want to give up hope.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is there a wound site? Is there infection? If so, clean the site really good with a Bernadine solutio. And rub Manuka honey on it and wrap. It has to be Manuka honey. You can get it online or sometimes CVS or Walgreens might sell a tube of it. I recently started using this for wounds and it is awesome. I used it one my finger when one of my goats bit my finger. It was a nasty wound and the Manuka honey has great antibiotic and antiseptic properties. Also you can give it orally to help the body fight infection. It's worth a try.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do t think he has infection anymore. Not after 4 doses of antibiotics. I have been washing his wounds 3x a day and treating with ointment. he only goes outside to nurse form his mom. I just can't get the swelling to go down and now he has a swollen knee? Not sure if that is what it's called. I feel horrible that this has happened and am trying so hard to save him but 3 of his legs had wounds and his ear. One leg is looking a lot better. But the other the vet knicked when he shaved it last week to drain fluid (serum not infection). Then epsom salt soaks which dried out the flesh where he was knicked. That is the one that I can't get the swelling down in.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Poor little guy, it sounds like the damage was from a lot more aggressive chewing than just nibbling. You are doing all the right things, maybe the honey will help if you can find some. Hope he makes it :)
If the above-mentioned dog is able to get to your goats, you won't have them long. It's heart-breaking to see the damage a "normally sweet, harmless" pet can do, been there, done the burying of the kids, and hated every minute of it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. I hope he makes it too. The dog is a puppy that is lgd :( he is secluded now and in severe training sessions. I told my hubby if he even thinks about touching another one of my babies he is outta here. We dont need a guard dog that is going to kill the herd. I would rather take my chances with the coyotes and such. Besides goatses are cuter than puppies. Anywho I divert. Thanks again for the advise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts