Need Advise, Queen Arriving Tomorrow,Calling for Rain Next 2 Days.

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by Hee Haw, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Hee Haw

Hee Haw Well-Known Member

Hello,
    I am a 2nd year hobbist,trying to be beekeeper,with concerns on what to do: I ordered a new Itlian Queen back in Feb. in hopes of making my first split,with one of my double brood hives,and queen is due in the post office in the morning.
    "The problem is weather man is calling for rain tonight, tomorrow and Saturday, what can I do with the queen to keep her a live until the weather breaks? I done my second reverse on the hives a week ago, and cheeked the hive today and brood is in the bottom chamber with space and some honey in top of frames in the top brood chamber.
    I have a screen slatt board, and a queen excluder, and a empty new 5 frame nuc and new empty brood hive with new fondation wax for any ideas ?

Was wondering if I caught a time in between rain, if I could separate the 2 brood hives with a queen excluder and go ahead and put the queen cage in the top middle frames of the top brood, and then put the screen slatt board on top of the top brood hive with little entrance door open facing the rear , opposite from bottom hive , and put the outter telecoping top cover over the the screen slatterr board , if this would work? for a quick fix , even though the brood would be in the bottom old hive.
    Any thoughts are advise,weather man says next pretty sunny day want be till sunday and queen was shipped out wednesday morn.
    Thanks.

2. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

I would gather every thing together needed to do the split. I would then watch for a break in the rain showers Dash out to the hives and do the split. I myself would NOT trust a queen excruder to keep the queens apart. I would use at least a pair of them.
    But as far as installing the new queen, it will take a few days for her to be released. If you don't poke a hole in the candy it takes a bit longer even. She could be installed in the split and final work done on the next nice day which I think is Sunday.

:D Al

3. Hee Haw

Hee Haw Well-Known Member

Just picked up queen at post office, very cloudy, I am going to do as you advised alleyyopper , got to hurry though, Thanks Alleyyopper, your a big help.

4. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

Thank you :p, your very welcome. I am glad I can help. It's what these places are all about I feel, helping one another and shareing ideas.
    Sunny here today so may be there too. Still chilly though and the days high is only supposed to get to 45F. Not sure if the girls will be flying or not.

:D Al