Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in baby-sitter 'really-hot-place'

I am a teacher who goes back to school Aug 9th.
My DH is a correctional officer who is on the 2-10p shift until Jan and his days off are Wed/Thurs....so we need a sitter for 1-4pm on M/Tu/F

since last Jan he was on a 10p-6a shift and we didnt use a babysitter.

the only daycare here is full thanks to the teacher in the local school district that has 3 under the age of 6...

Option #1--the next nearest daycare is 15 miles away in the opposite direction....so DH would have to drive 30 miles round trip before work and I would have to drive an extra 16 miles to pick up after work. This daycare charges $14/day for anything less than 4 hrs per day.

Option #2--same Daycare as mentioned above charges $77/week for full time....this would be about a total of 20 miles RT for just me (nothing for DH as I would drop off and pick up

I cannot find anyone in our town willing to watch my 2 1/2 year old

so I called the lady that watched him for the first part of last school year...she didnt answer so I left a voicemail. I heard later that she may not be living in the area much longer....didnt sound very promising

I have a phone number for a couple of different ladies that MAY be interested in babysitting.....both would involve an 'out of the way' drive for both of us.

Option #3----lady #1--has a DD in my DD's class...also has a 3yo who will go to preschool and a baby at home...currently she is working but is or has quit because she will have to drop off and pick up her [email protected] our school they must be 4 before they can ride the bus. She may be watching the 6mo baby of the Kindergarten teacher (who is also hunting a sitter) This option is a 30 mile roundtrip for DH and about 6 mile RT for me

Option #4---lady #2--DH got the contact info from a lady he works with...it is her DD who has a 3mo baby at home but she is a SAHM and MAY be interested in babysitting but it isnt a sure thing....the problem here is that her DH came from a very rough upbringing...his dad is basically a deadbeat who has been in/out of jail for drugs...once leaving the young man and a younger brother to fend for themselves while dad was in jail--granted the boys were teenagers but no one really knew they were living alone....this young couple lives in a small community with tons of drugs available.

I kinda know this young man and his younger brother because I did teach in the school system where the younger brother will be a senior this fall. my first instinct is to veto this option immediately...but then I think they are young and deserve a 2nd chance. The mom says that the young man works with her hubby and they have routine drug testing and the young man has always passed...the mom wasnt very happy when her DD married him but is coming around to accepting him. Since she works at the prison with my DH I feel that she wouldnt intentionally give us the info for a person who will indanger my child. This option is also 30mi RT for DH and about 8mi RT for me.

none of the situations are ideal but we are running out of time to find someone. in the past I have paid $2 per hour and then round up to the nearest $5....so a 3hr day I would pay ~$10....we paid $15/day when the last sitter watched him from 7:30a - 2:30p (7hrs)

option 1 is ~46 miles driving and $14 per day
option 2 is ~30 miles driving and $77 per week
option 3 is ~36 miles driving and dunno about cost
option 4 is ~38 miles driving and dunno about cost

without knowing any of these people, what are your thoughts?
Rachel

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
If it's a choice between two equal places, sit down and figure out what kind of gas mileage your car gets and choose the most economical route. Personally I'd try to keep them with a parent as much as possible, probably taking them in o daycare in the afternoon.
I don't know if I'd go with the SAHM of two, one an infant, who might be watching another baby plus your two; she's be so incredibly busy the kids would likely not get much attention... but if she's your best bet and it would only be for a couple hours I might think about it. Just not all day, that just seems like so much for one person to handle with no backup adult around.
As far as the young couple goes, depends... they sound fine to me, but the area.... ugh, I don't envy you.

I know when I worked daycare and there were situations like that, if you call and explain the situation they might find some way to wiggle your two in, though they may be in with kids of slightly different ages. Try your church, too, might be someone there who'd jump at the chance to spend a few hours a day with a couple little ones.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I'd try the church and the local YMCA (Post on the bulletin board) because none of these sound great.

How long will your DH be on this shift? If it's permanent, I'd probably go for the full time day care, during the school year.

I'd not give someone a second chance if it involved my child.... they'd have to prove their second chance on their own kids, not mine.

also, If you bump up the price of baby sitting, to make it enticing, you might get a more willing , more qualified person. Baby sitting here, in SC, cost roughly twice what you're paying for day care, and I paid $10/hour, on the rare occasions when I needed someone, and it was in my home. For a 40 hour week, that's $400 and it gets you a pro.

I currently have a friend who has three little boys, who has a retired lady for two hours after school each day. That's 10 hours. She makes $150/week. The fact that there is only one child doesn't discount the work. As you teach, you're paid the same if you have 10 in the class, as if you had 30. For a quality job, you've gotta pay.

My teens, after the age of 16, fully firstaid/cpr certified and able to drive, get $10 an hour.
I'd be scared to death to see what I'd get at $2/hour.

This is why I have taught 'parttime' for the last 8 years. It nets me only working on actual school days,(only two inservice days a year) and leaving when the kids do. No benefits, in the conventional way, but massive benefits to me and the kids.

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
I would never choose a daycare provider by the miles I would have to drive. 20 miles is less than or around what most cars get per mpg and even at 3.00per gallon--round trip that's still only 6$ pre day. $14 +$6=$20 per day for good, honest, safe, reliable daycare seems like a deal to me.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Can you pay the daycare for full time and not actually use it? $77 is a much better deal (absolutely unfathomable where I live). If it's only until Jan., it isn't going to permanently scar the kids' psyches, and I'd be willing to bet the daycare wouldn't mind four days instead of five if DH wants to keep them home, or whatever. It's certainly worth asking about.

I hate to say "I have it worse than you" ... but I have it worse than you. I have found *zero* options. I've been fretting about this since February, and I've found not one person. I only need care before and after school, including transportation to and fro, and you'd think I'm asking for a Rhodes scholar to teach him German in three easy lessons! If I ever *do* find someone, I have no idea what it will cost, but I am clearly not in a position to haggle.

Anyway, back to you ... I'd try to get more info from the daycare and take it from there.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I would go with option 2 and put him in full time for 3 days/week. If he only goes a few hours each afternoon (to a large, structured daycare) he will miss out on most of the learning activities as they do most of them in the morning. Also, any projects the kids work on he would miss most of. Might as well get some educational bang for your buck.

And I have to agree that daycare in your area is very cheap! When my kids went to daycare (and it's been several years) it ranged $165/week per child for infants to $125/week per child for preschool (4 yrs). My school charges $40 a week per child for aftercare for school aged children; 3pm - 6pm. Part time 'babysitters' charge $10+ an hour.

Beth

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yikes! I would not even bother working if I had to pay $10/hr for a sitter!!! and actually my last sitter told me that when I paid her it was too much....I thought $15/day was reasonable...she kept him 7hrs/day for 3 days/week....I paid her once a month as DH and I get paid on the last working day of the month....I would just leave it on her microwave and tell her that I paid her otherwise she argued about the total cost being too much!

my bringhome after ONLY taxes (no insurance) is $2005.94 per month ---this is for a fulltime special ed position with 1 yr experience....spedEd makes 5% more than a reg teacher.... the cost of living is WAY cheaper than anywhere else! my mortgage payment is $292 for a 2000sq ft home on 7 lots (total cost was $38,000)....we have one of the top 10 or so nicest homes in our community. I pay $30 for water/trash/sewer, last elec bill was $175 and we keep the thermostats about 72 (we have 2 CH/A units in our 2-story house)

The local YMCA is 35 miles one way in the opposite direction from work

I think there was some confusion in one post...I only have 1 child I need care for....the lady #1 has one child at home that is under the age of 1 and has one that will be in the allday 3yo program....this lady may be watching the 6mo baby of another co-worker.....this option wasnt desirable because that would be 2 kiddos under the age of 1 plus my son....and (please dont let this sound snobbish) the lady lives out in the country....I live in town and always have....I dont normally drive on dirt roads and therefore worry about the rain/snow/etc and dirt-road-driving...

I think we are leaning towards the daycare situation....there is another one in the town where the one I called is....there is also another one in a town about 4 miles closer than the first....I just havent contacted them to see if they have openings or the price....I dont have the numbers, cant find them online nor in the phone book!!!

QueenBee~~ as for safe and honest daycare, I am not so certain that they are...I have heard various things about the back-biting of the employees...and how one lady spilled hot coffee on an infant....I think I am going to just drive down to the other daycares and pop in for a visit and ask about openings/rates....

after sleeping on it, I feel that a daycare with the extra drive is probablly the best way to go.

Thanks and if you have any other thoughts, please share!!!

Rachel

·
Registered
9,582 Posts
..............Place an ad in the help wanted\personals section , with explicit times\days\your zip code for a sitter , ASAP . Maybe you'll get lucky and find a lady close by that you didn't even know about . , fordy

·
Premium Member
6,395 Posts
Sometimes a teacher who has just had a baby will watch kids for other teachers--it may only buy you a year, but you never know who will go back and who won't. Or sometimes, two/three teachers will get together and share a sitter--someone who might not want to do it for the one, but will for the pay of three. Ask other teachers who they know that just had a baby. Call your school board and ask around for help. You would be surprised what they know...

Try calling all the secretaries at all the elementary schools. They often know people or know mom's that tell them they are willing to sit.

·
Administrator
19,224 Posts
I would check with the church or such and see if you could find a mom that is at home with her own and chooses not to work or maybe a grandmother type. The best care my kids received was an old gal that really didn't care for her husband at all so she adored watching my kids in my home. She was absolutely wonderful and I had her till I felt she chose to get a job. The next was a SAHM and she raised her kids just like I raised mine and the money I paid helped take up a bit of slack in their budget but she just handled things and although I had to drop off and pick up, it was just like being at home, they had livestock and pets and the kids helped her do chores twice a day (she did chores and they helped with little things because they were small and played outside with her and the animals). I particularly enjoyed the fact that she understood when to call the doctor and when an incident was minor. She ultimately got a job at the school when they were old enough and they all went to school together and to this day, they are very fond of the time they spent with her and maintain contact with her and her family.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
homeschooling is nearly non-existant....I am very familiar with 2 school districts that cover 7 communities and part of 4 counties and I only know of one family that "homeschools" --I put quotemarks on that because they dont actually do any schooling

there is only one lady in our church that stays at home---her son will be in PreK this year. she was going to babysit last year and then decided that she didnt want to...I doubt she will again as her middle son is a Senior this year.

I have put flyers up and told people that I was looking....I have feelers out there...I am just not comfortable with calling up people and asking if they would want to babysit

Tomorrow we are going school shopping for me and DD in OKC so on Thursday I will go down to Ringwood and Meno and check out the 3 daycares there.....I know for certain that 1 of them has an opening (the one I mentioned previously)

for all ya'll that pray, it sounds frivolous but could you pray that it all works out? I mean it always does and I always panic until the last minute but we always come out okay....

Rachel

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
OK, I dont understand! The best place for him is decided after you get to know the daycare providers and see if it fits his needs...not necessarily yours.... You're already trying to decide without even meeting the providers?... isnt that a bit backwards?

And I paid $2 hour for my 26 and 30 year olds...
My dil pays $80 a week but she pays whether he is there or not... unless it is the day care provider that cancels that day.

·
Premium Member
9,245 Posts
This is kinda negative to bring up but the official daycares here have their areas filmed...no problems from a worker who knows if they backhand a child (or worse) they'll be on film.
Private homes are not filmed and that is where most every death or severe injury of a child has been- at a private sitter, not a daycare.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I get paid $16 a day for before and after school care and they ride the bus! I have the girl for 45 minutes in the morning, and 3 hours after school and the boy for30 minutes before the bus and 3 1/2 hours after.

For full time day care, I was getting $150 per child a week for 5 days a week, 8 1/2 hours a day. It included lunch, two snacks, and the same preschool stuff my kids were doing but she had to buy their books. They moved to Ohio, so I don't have anyone during the day this year.

I have had one woman ask me - but I am not sure I want to watch her kids as their lifestyle is very different from ours..

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
I pay $7/hour for daycare in jersey. cheapest i found was 5, and one place wanted 10/hour

·
Living in the Hills
4,534 Posts
Since it looks like there are more than one of the teachers in a bind this way, how about talking to the district about a onsite daycare for the staff? My cousin's school did this & it really helped.

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
No problem solution here but the opinion that day care should be combined for the very old and the very young is what I think will work best.

You would only need one middle aged adult to take care of both. And the older people would probably enjoy short turns sitting with the kids.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
okay...I visited the daycare in Ringwood today.

I had Myspaced my teacher's aide to see if she knew the name of the place since she lives pretty close to there....she told me what it is called and then told me what a wonderful place it was....as she has enjoyed working there this summer. It is ran by the Baptist Church which isnt a prob for us as we are Baptists too (no holding that against me :) )

I want a provider that meets several (preferrablly all) of OUR needs. those are

1. reasonablly priced
2. distance
3. environment that my son would endure
4. availability--time/day wise
5. availability--travel wise

now....the lady who already has a 1yr old and then babysitting a 6mo old and lives down a dirt road became undesirable because of the quality of care she could provide with having an infant, a crawler, and a nearly preschooler....and living down the dirt road that is oiled and gets very slick with rain/snow....

the young lady with the "rough" DH just doesnt feel 'right' so yes I am dismissing this one without meeting her. have you ever just had that feeling?

knowing 'some' things about the daycare called and the telephone conversation with the lady from there....paired with the distance and price made it undesirable but workable if need-be

so I had another daycare to check out today but after the visit to Ringwood, we didnt even actually visit the 2 in Meno....we chose the only one that we actually visited.....the one at Ringwood....the facility was very clean....there were 3 ladies working....2 of them I know quite well though both are employed at the same school where I teach, so they wont be there but a week more. it is 4 miles closer than the daycare mentioned in my original post so this cuts about 16 miles from the 'out-of-the-way" figures....

because I teach in Cleo in the AM it is an extra drive in the mornings of about 3 miles....at 11am I go to Aline to finish my day so at the end of the day to pick him up it will be about an extra 18 miles....this was definitely shorter than the one at Meno...

AND it has a weekly rate of $70....or $12 daily for part days.....

we are opting for the 5 full days for $70 and instead of DH dropping him and them me picking him up, for this one year he will be dropped off and picked up by me...this gets him more on schedule with me and my DD since we will be at school all day. This will also help eliminate the scramble in January when DH shift changes again....

you pay wether your child is there 4or 5 days....it is a weekly rate. you are 'allowed' to miss 2 days is what the lady said....but more than that and you have to pay for them anyway....I dont get that unless you are paying the $15/day rate for the 4 days=$60.....I dont know....since DH days off are in the middle of the week I think it would be the least disruptive to all of us to just have him go all 5 school days....and maybe DH could get some extra things done on his days off!!!

I have the enrollment packet and on Monday when the director is back, I will enroll him

Thank you all for your thoughtfulness!!!!!
Rachel

1 - 20 of 24 Posts