Need advice on treating a dry cow

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by willow_girl, Jan 14, 2004.

1. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Hello all! Well, I took the plunge and bought a cow today. A Jersey! She is due to freshen in March, and was dried off about a month ago. I've heard the phrase "treating a dry cow" and have gathered that it's something you're supposed to do. I'm hoping someone can explain what this entails!

Thanks! :)

2. Jackpine Savage

Jackpine Savage Well-Known Member

Dry cow treatment refers to infusing the udder with slow release antibiotics immediately following the last milking. It's done to treat subclinical mastitis and prevent mastitis during the dry period. IMO you wouldn't want to do this to your cow right now unless you know she has a mastitis problem. Her teat ends are likely sealed up and opening them up to inject antibiotics could cause problems in itself.

Check out her udder, feel for any hard spots. Watch for uneven swelling. If you see anything like this you may want to treat her. The most important thing is to keep her dry and clean, especially when she is close to calving and she starts leaking milk. You most likely won't have a problem.

Here's more information on dry cow therapy from the National Mastitis Council:

http://www.nmconline.org/drycow.htm

3. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Since this is a Jersey, watch out for milk fever after calving. If she does down after calving call the vet immediately.

Ken S. in WC TN

4. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Thanks, everyone, for the advice!
    I didn't realize Jerseys were more prone to milk fever. Yikes!!! Something new to worry about.
    Are there any supplements I should be giving her to ward off the possibility?

5. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Do a forum search on milk fever. The subject has been discussed extensively in the past.

Ken S. in WC TN