Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. We currently live in Ashville, AL. but we are looking to move in the next 5 years so we can be completely off grid and self sustained. I need y'alls advice on the best area to homestead but one of my must haves on the list is great schools...my daughter is in elementary school right now and she does not do well with homeschooling and has to be in public school. We are looking for a minimum of 10 acres with some source of flowing water on the property (natural spring, creek, river...ECT.) We will be continuing to raise chickens and we will have horses and possibly cattle. My husband is a hunter so we need to be in an area that is accessible to game. We will be solar powered so we can't be completely tucked off in the woods and we will also continue our gardens. Any advice would be amazingly helpful! Thanks

·
Registered
213 Posts
If you are going to be solar powered, wanting off grid, and a good place for livestock - I think Arizona might be of interest. Property tax tends to be lower than other states. Water can be a more difficult thing, though, but doable when done right. Gun laws are some of the best.

Fair warning, though, it can be difficult to find a good public school in Arizona as it doesn't have the best rankings in the educational department.

Generally the top homesteading states are places like Alaska, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, Oregon, Idaho, Michigan, Virginia, Connecticut, and I see Wyoming pop up if we're going through various rankings.

·
Premium Member
8,291 Posts
(You'll probably have to add your own biomass and fertility anywhere you go these days.)

(Three miles down the road--three kids graduated, three kids with Master's degrees, I'd say that's a pretty good school system. )

(The seller wants to sell all of this as a unit....I'm interested in buying only a piece of it with one of the cottages---you might be interested in the farmhouse with the long front porch, with the pillars).

We're off grid three or four days a year--that's enough for me....

Kalamazoo is twenty miles down the road, should you need groceries, or a day job......

Our US Rep, (Fred Upton) has been in Congress forever. (If politics matter to you...)

Hope this may spark some ideas.:)

geo

1 - 3 of 3 Posts