Need advice on bumper pull campers-please

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by NancyinArkansas, Aug 27, 2004.

1. NancyinArkansas

NancyinArkansas Well-Known Member

I know I could look them up on this computer but I would like people who own one to give me their best advice so I wont do something really stupid-it is my first one and it is a nomad 1976-has a steel frame and is in really good shape-every thing works on it and just needs a little cleaning-20 footer with 4 burner stove-oven-ref.with freezer and good sized bath wit tub and shower-double bed and twin bed and table -double sink--lots of storage and air cinditioner and heat-he left all his camping dishes in it and a camp stove and big fan-for 2000 dollaers and he is going to deliver it for me as our new truck is nt broke in yet- i hope i did nt pay too much--please give me your best camping tips and how to care for this camper--thank you -Nancy

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Keeping ahead of problems makes everything go more pleasant. Check the roof for leaks. They aren't uncommon in older trailers. Hook a waterhose to it and be sure everything is OK with the pipes and faucets. Flush out the water holding tank. Fill it and add about a half cup of bleach. Run this through all the plumbimg then flush it all out. Do you get the torsion bars that go on the hitch to stablize the weight and keep the trailer from bouncing the rear of your truck up and down with each bump in the road. They are a must. You'll need an electric brake controler in your truck. Campers have a large wiring plug that is standard on all of them. You need a plug on the truck to hook it in to. Does your truck have the square hole for the hitch to go into? Do carry a good ossculating fan and a little 1500 watt electric heater with you at all times. If you are in a paid site they will have electric and most days for a while, the fan will be needed. A little electric heater will keep it warm at night down to freezing or below. It is quieter than your gas furnace, safer, and you aren't using your gas. Taking canned fruit and other things that require a minimum of cooking time will make your life more pleasant. Dry cerial, peanutbutter and jelly, paper plates, paper bowls, paper towels. plastic silverware, and styrafoam and plastic cups and glasses. An electric skillet is handy out on the pickanick table booboo. Try to remember that you are on a vacation just like the rest of your crew. Smile a lot. That works wonders sometimes.

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh yeh, you have to have the trailer level when you park it. I carry some 2x8 planks to put under the wheels on the low side. You need some kind of levels attached to the trailer to check it for being level. I have a big one visiable from the inside of the truck on the front of the trailer that really helps me get the wheels lever. The front to back leveling can for the most part be done with the jack on the tongue. Need some short planks to put under the tongue jack and the stabilizer jacks on the rear. You got a spare tire? Just hold her under 80 on the curves.

4. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...................http://www.rvtraderonline.com/
    ...........Nancy , try the above and use the search function . You can tell it to look for travel trailers in Arkansas exclusively . You can also specify the length...say no longer than 25 feet and the amount...say $3000. You might be surprised at what is Available...........fordy..... :) :eek:

5. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member Supporter

6. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I'd seal the roof ASAP....it's always the first to go. Seal all of the seams around the edges, around the vents and AC, etc. To determine if the roof ever leaked in the past, push the ceiling inside with your finger..again do it around the edges and vents. If soft, or water-stained, make absolutely sure that you seal the roof in those areas.

Have someone get underneath and look for dry rot of the floor. Not sure how'd you'd fix it if you found it tho......

7. ed/IL

ed/IL Well-Known Member

Check the wheel bearings and keep them greased. Might be a good idea to keep a spare set. If camper has those little wheels don't go 80. When you stop for gas or rest touch wheel hub and see if it is hot. If it is fix immediately.

8. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

Make sure you have a vehicle that can propertly pull the trailer. The older trailers are heavier than the newer ones of similar size. DOnt worry about your vehicles tow ability, WORRY about its stopping ability. Even a little truck will pull a trailer, Its getting it stopped thats the problem. An older 20fter is going to need a full size vehicle to pull and effective stop it.

9. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

Everyone has given you good advice here. As for the price, if the trailer is in good condition, I think you got a bargain.

10. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

Fridges need to be kept running in order to keep them working. They are expensive to replace/repair. The tralier needs to be kept level in order for the juices in the fridge to flow correctly.

Keep it stocked so when you whant to go camping it wont take as long to pack up.

ENJOY!!!

Mrs Whodunit

11. NancyinArkansas

NancyinArkansas Well-Known Member

I would like to thank everyone who took time to help me-that was a lot of good advice-I cant wait to try it out-probably in hunting season-according to what i found out -i think we got a good price .everyone have a great life-nancy