Need advice on building and maintaining a web site.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by HoosierDeb, May 20, 2005.

1. HoosierDeb

HoosierDeb Well-Known Member

I am buying the entire Mini Lop and French Lop rabbit herd. I would like to have a website where I can promote the rabbits and other projects at my place as they develop. I need to know the best way for me, who has no idea how to do any of this, to get a site up and keep it going. I'd llike to do as much of the maintenence of the site myself as far as updating etc. but will need to learn how to do it. Anybody have any advice on where to start?

2. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Get sitespinner! Best $50 you'll ever spend. You can get it at downloads.com, just search for sitespinner and download it. It has a 14 day free trial (and it only counts days you use it too!), then it's $50 after that. Once you get the hang of the program, you can do most anything you want, you can make a nice looking website. After using junk programs like frontpage for so long, sitespinner almost brought me to tears, tears of joy!

Here is a simple one I did with it: www.ozarkherbal.com .

If you want to have your own domain name (e.i. hoosierdeb.com) you have to pay for registration, and you'll need to pay someone to host it. I use meccahosting.com. They work fine for me. You can search until you find an unused domain name, then purchase it. Do not get the frontpage or html editor from them. Frontpage is junk. Registering is like $8.00 or something, and I think hosting is around $20 per year? Can't quite remember.

If you want to do a free site, I would recommend using www.topcities.com . They don't have real obnoxious ads like angelcities and yahoo. I used them for my first website.

When you are setting up a website, keep in mind making it simple to navigate. Make it so people can get where they want to go in about 2 clicks, and so that they can see what they are looking for quickly and easily. How long do you stay at a website when you can't find what you are looking for and there are several other options back one page at the search engine?

3. WindowOrMirror

WindowOrMirror ..where do YOU look? Supporter

It depends on whether or not you want to do commerce (sales) on your site. If you do, it will take a certain amount of work up front to get going (along with shipping and payment relationships).

Happy to help you... email me at red@oversear.org

R

4. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

I would recommend paypal's shopping cart. It's about the cheapest way to process credit cards.

5. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

If you'd like to email me, I may be able to help. :D

Cait, who can't resist the urge to promote her small business, and really does have very good rates.

6. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

I also build/host websites, and can reg. a domain name. So, you have lots of help offers!
    Actually writting code isnt that difficult, once you get the hang of it. Consider getting a book and studying how to write the pages yourself, usually they are more flexible than a code writting program. Also, there are lots of resources online for "how to" build a website. Even if you decide to hire someone, do your homework so you have an idea of what is going on.
    I agree with the paypal shopping cart, it is a good one. So is Mals shopping cart. You can accept credit card payments with both, with min. charge.
    Good luck, and post a link to your site when you get it up and running!

7. HoosierDeb

HoosierDeb Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. I'm going to do lots of reading up on this and will probably have more questions before I decide whether I can handle it on my own or will have someone do it for me. Thanks for the good resources.