Need advice on Barn roof please

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by deberosa, Oct 26, 2004.

1. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

Hi,

Just been talking to a roofer. I have an 80 year old cedar post and shake barn whose roof has seen better days. There is a 25 by 25 main part of the barn, two stories up and then an add on that is about the same size with a lean to. It is an old cedar shake roof with a steep pitch.

I put a huge tarp on the low portion myself this year - it took all day. I have it all tied down on the edges and it's been through several bad windstorms already with no problem. The higher portion though is just defeating me. :confused:

The guy says he will put the tarp on the roof, nail it down all over and rope over the top (I have the tarp and ropes) for $200. Nice kid - parents moving in down the road.

He also says they will strip the shingles and put on a tin roof for $3200. Now, I could scrape that together right now, but it would be tight - I would rather wait a year or two.... And I can't imagine a project that won't have cost overruns...

Should I bite the bullet and get the roof replaced now or just put the tarp up for now? I have to do something because the huge snow storm last year took off enough shingles that the rain is ruining the loft inside. It's a beautiful old barn and I would hate to lose it.

What do you all think I should do - short term fix or do the whole thing now? Is $3200 reasonable?

Thanks!

Debbie

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

From my rough mental calculations you have less than 1300 sq. ft. of roof plus 25 ft. of ridge cap. There is very little waste with the corrugated metal and assuming the wood under the shakes is intact the material cost including fasteners should not exceed $750. Tearing off the shakes is the biggest task and the new roofing should go on quickly. I would think that $2200 would be more in line with the project.

3. deberosa

The poles from the ridge to the walls are 4-6 inch diameter cedar logs. The cross lathe is a bit of a problem - some will need to be replaced, maybe all of it, then put the metal on top of that. Good to know what materials would cost. It's an old old barn, huge cedar logs for posts and top beam, smaller logs notched in for the roof itself. Long 2 ft cedar shakes where there are some. He said most would fall apart in the tear off, but I would keep them for "something".

4. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

I will not speculate on the price or who should do the job. Price of metal is all over the board these days....

However, steel roof lasts 25-50 years. With a painting or 2 along the way.

Why do the job 2 times? Big pain in the rear.

Do it, do it right, get it done, and enjoy the building! Why fool around with ugly flapping tarps that wear holes in themselves & don't offer any real protection, just to have to redo it right in a very short time?

The tarp appears to be costing you $100 a year for 1/2 the roof - not sure if you included materials in that cost either? You still have the major expense coming, and tarps just don't last.....

The metal, even if the price is high according to some, appears to be costing you less than $100 a year for the whole roof. And, it is done & over with for a long time.

That is a no-brainer - isn't it???? :)

Around here if the roof rafters are good, it is common to only strip off a few old shingles, lay down 2x4 across the roof every 2 feet, and screw the metal onto that. Leave the rest of the old shingles for insulation. Less labor this way, but depends on what you actually have of course.

--->Paul

5. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Well I can't see the roof but I agree I'd get the tin on one way or another. Is the fellow qualified to do the job? Is he insured? Have you gotten any other quotes?

6. brosil

brosil Well-Known Member Supporter

Get it done. I spent $8k to reshingle my barn and don't regret a bit of it. If I had a straight roofed barn, I'd definitely use the modern metal roofing. It's good stuff.

7. deberosa

Before I even got up and read these posts, I woke up in the middle of the night thinking about this. Came to the same conclusion - why mess around? This is a very reputable company and the guy in charge used to work maintenance at the college I work at. They've been in business locally many many years. I probably won't get another quote - saving a couple hundred with someone less trusted doesn't seem quite worth it, if I could possibly get it done around here for $2500 I might be sacrificing the quality. Plus many won't even touch an old barn, I am surprised they are willing to take it on...

Thanks for the voice of reason - I know I am going to be very happy with a new roof on that barn!

8. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

deberosa, Yes, I believe you are doing the right thing in having the roof done now. A tarp doesn't take too long to degrade in the weather, and before you would know it, you would have a tarp that would be in tatters not doing any good at all.

The $3200.00 sounds like a good price. I had my large barn roof done several years ago and it cost over $10,000.00 (I had extra work done around the house & outbuildings too). Even if you did wait a year or two, chances are the price would only be higher, and the money you would be trying to save for the roof, other things always come along.

Chances are your roof will outlive you. I commend you on roofing your barn so it can be saved. Old barns falling down make me sad that nobody was willing to fix it as needed. Once the roof is bad, it doesn't take long for the rest of the building to go.

Enjoy your soon to be rain proof barn! :)