Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Our three fainting goats arrived today - one is 8 months old, the other two are about 4 months old. We felt that we were as ready as we were going to be - good tight fences, stable all fixed up, feed, had read lots about goats ahead of time and talked to people...

And now, I think we may have a problem.

The goats are awesome, but they are pretty skittish. I know they didn't interact with humans a whole lot where they were, but they weren't totally wild either. You could walk in their pasture and they would just sort of mill around. Some (older) would come right up to you, but those are the "keeper" goats they've had for a long time, not babies they were going to sell.

For tonight they are inside the barn in their stable. Our plan was to let them roam in the pasture (a pretty large pasture for three goats, several acres) during the day and bring them in at night to protect them from predators till we get a guard llama. Also, the vet is coming on Monday morning, and they need to be in the stable then, too.

But these plans seem to be going out the window - I'm really worried that once I let them out I'll never get them back in the stable, and I'll have a really hard time "taming" them or even interacting with them at all!

I hate to keep them in the barn for a few more days because it's been so hot and I can't imagine they'd enjoy that very much...

What should I do?

As a side note, I'm also wondering if the babies are really missing their mama (would make perfect sense to me) and possibly are going through the weaning process because when I was sitting with them out in the barn they were crying these really loud cries. Not nonstop, but still. They were crying before I got there, too. Do you think they're weaning or just scared? I can call and ask the people we bought them from, but not till tomorrow...

Thanks for all advice and thoughts you have to offer -

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,890 Posts
Fritos, raisins, crackers. Fill your pockets. Sit with goats, handing out tidbits slowly. Do this at least twice a day. :)

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
DO NOT EVER CHASE THEM. No matter how much you want to handle them. IMO, chasing them can ruin them to being handled. As for treats, I tend toward Alfalfa pellets, myself. :) They can be tamed. Close them in the barn during feeding and feed them in a certain bowl. After they get used to eating out of that bowl, start keeping that bowl right at your feet at feeding time. Get them used to eating at your feet. After they're used to that, start petting them while they eat. You can hand out treats anytime. :) They'll warm up to you pretty quick, I'd bet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts