Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Goshen Farm
7,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The meds I take tend to make my mouth dry and I have full upper and lower dentures that likely harbor bacteria etc. I do clean and sanitize my dentures daily. I keep getting those little crusted sores in the corners of my mouth. normally one side only though currently both sides. When I research them it seems they are caused by staph that is always present in the mouth or maybe a yeast or something. Any advice?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
You probably need to have a swab test done because it kind of sounds like thrush. The treatment is usually a swish and swallow mouthwash that kills the yeast and prevents recurrence. Its very common with dentures, and some people are more sensitive than others and tend to keep it without using the mouthwash.
I do know it's very painful and I'm sorry if you have it.

·
Goshen Farm
7,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe it is called: Angular cheilitis is an inflammatory disorder that causes redness, crusting, or cracking at the corner of the mouth, often on both sides. Infections with the fungus Candida, which grows naturally in the mouth, or with bacteria such as staph or strep often cause angular cheilitis.

Just wondering if there is a home remedy I can try. thanks, sis

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
sisterpine,

Angular cheilitis can be caused by ill-fitting dentures among a number of other things, like the medicine you’re taking giving you dry mouth. To give you a suitable remedy I would want to make sure that the dentures were not causing a problem as well. Here are a couple things you can try that may bring some relief.

Simply rinsing with salt water can be helpful or more intensively packing the salt. Don’t just rinse, but pack the salt in your mouth near the sores and hold it in there as for 5-15 minutes before rinsing and spitting out. Do this numerous times throughout your waking hours and lastly right before bed. I cured a throat infection in myself by just using salt in this way. It is a simple remedy, inexpensive and worth a try. If you have open wounds in your mouth, the salt remedy may sting at first until healing has begun. If this is the case. Rinse with heavily salted, warm water often until you can tolerate packing the salt. The next remedy will not sting…

Common plantain (narrow or broad-leafed), the kind that grows in your lawn is [FONT=&quot]antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, soothing, drawing, and moistening. http://www.ediblewildfood.com/broadleaf-plantain.aspx Simply pick some leaves, not the big chewy leaves but the smaller tender leaves toward the inside of the plant. The newer leaves will taste more mild to you, but any leaf will be effective. Be sure to select your plants in locations that are away from the road and not where pesticides have been sprayed. Wash them, chew them and allow them to get smashed up with your saliva and to sit in your mouth, like the salt remedy above. Take a little of that saliva and dab it on the corners of your mouth as well. It is very healing. Also, if you like, you can add some leaves to some olive oil in a blender. Let the oil sit in a glass jar in a dark place for 14 days. Shake the mixture every day, then strain through a coffee filter on the 15th day. You’ll get a green herbal oil (darker than just the plain olive oil). This would be something you can dab on the corners of your mouth or apply internally as well. We eat plantain in our salads so if you’re not familiar with this plant, it is perfectly safe and very mild.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Blessings to you![/FONT]

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I'm healing from HF&M I caught from my grandson. Salt water or mouth wash did nothing. I got 1 1/2% peroxide wash that has knocked it out in less than a week. It may also work for you.8oz was $5 at CVS.
Worth a try.

Wade

1 - 7 of 7 Posts