Need advice from al of you smart Moms out there

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by vegascowgirl, Apr 1, 2005.

1. vegascowgirl

vegascowgirl Try Me

I guess it's official for me now. I'm pregnant with my second child......morning sickness hit today (baptized the truck on the way into town) :( {oops too much info, sorry}. I've heard that soda crackers or ginger will help. However, they did nothing for me during my first pregnancy. I'm praying that my morning sickness sticks to the morning this time. Can any of you tell me any other good remedies? I would be ever greatfull :worship: .
    Thanks in advance
    Vegascowgirl

2. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

Congrats!!!! :)

Morning Sickness:
    Sorry to be so blunt, but the only thing that ever worked for me with morning sickness was to just puke and get it over with. The more I tried to fight it, the worse it seemed to get. Maybe someone else has some better advice.

3. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

4. vickiesmom

vickiesmom Well-Known Member

Hmmm, since only three of have answered...I'm thinking there are a lot of dumb moms out here LOL! Keep awway from the smell of frying foods...chicken and eggs used to trigger mine...you'll probably figure out which triggers yours. I had morning sickness with all eight of my kids and had good deliveris...my sister never had morning sickness but horrible deliveries...any other feedback on that?

5. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Not a woman but I have had morning sicknes with 4 kids,it always hit me soon as I went outside.My Doctor gave me something that helped,I can't remember what it was.That was over 20 years ago.Yes I had some Labor Pains too :(

big rockpile

6. JanO

JanO Well-Known Member Supporter

I guess I was lucky with my pregnancies...I hardly ever got morning sickness. But the few times I did it was the smell of coffee that did me in. Normally I love the smell of coffee. After I figured it out I just avoided it and was fine. Some have told me that yogert helped, but I don't know if it works or not.

Congrats on the new baby.

Jan

7. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

Strangely enough, I found that the healthier my diet when I was pregnant, the less morning sickness I suffered. Nothing fried or overly sugary/fatty, no coffee, concentrate on salads and fresh foods, with fresh breads and fruit and veggies. Chicken and fish went down easier then red meat.

I craved salads throughout my pregnancies, and for some silly, silly reason, black licorice. Don't ask -- because I don't know.

Tracy

8. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

I had 'morning' sickness most of the day with all three of mine, and it lasted the first three months, then the last three months. I never did find anything helpful at that time, but now I would try eating small amounts of food constantly, even during the night (and keep some water handy, too). I think part of the problem is going too long between 'meals'.

Kathleen

9. sheep tamer

sheep tamer former HT member

Eating a couple of crackers before even getting up in
    the morning can possibily help.

Sometimes the simplest things work the best...a
    midwife shared with us that drinking plenty of water
    helps to dilute the level of hormones in the blood
    that bring on nausea.

Come to think of it, it's a good idea for all of us. :p

10. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Just wanted to say that every pregnancy is different. What didn't work for you once might work for you now. Certainly doesn't hurt to try!

I was also one of the lucky ones...not a single day of morning sickness with my son, only a week's worth with my daughter. My sister had morning sickness so bad that water would make her sick. She was hospitalized twice and weighed less the day she went into labor than she did before she got pregnant. Luckily, she had a healthy baby weighing over 8 lbs. Her second pregnancy wasn't nearly as bad.

11. momlaffsalot

momlaffsalot Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I found that each of my pregnancies was different, but I do recall lounging around in my pajamas and faintly calling out for grilled cheese sammiches and strawberry shortcake had a tendency to make me feel better. Honestly, the only one I got sick with was my first and I couldn't keep anything down except chicken broth.
    Congrats on the new baby!

12. Nina

Nina Well-Known Member

You might try drinking ice water when you're feeling like that. It's supposed to quiet the stomach.

13. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

Those accupressure wrist bands helped me some. Vitamin B6 is often really helpful too. Always try to keep something on your stomach, small meals eaten often.

14. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

i only could keep down junk. like french fries, any carbohydrates. i puke for 5 months straight then it goes away. dr told me to make fennel tea/ seep fennel seeds in hot water. but it didnt help me

15. Mommalee

Mommalee Well-Known Member

I had the worst morning sickness with my third because we commuted 50 miles into town every day. I would always get sooo sick in the car! Candied ginger helped a little, as did drinking water in the car (slowly!) Someone suggested this to me, so I will pass it on. She said to have your hubby make you a shake in the morning, like a Carnation Instant Breakfast or a smoothie, and bring it to you before you even get out of bed. Drink it slowly and it really will make it easier to get up! We tried that and it got me through a few bad mornings. I second the advice of the other smart moms who said to snack throughout the day. I've always found if I have a little going in constantly I am less likely to have anything come out! Congratulations! It will be over soon :)

16. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

Try following the hypglycemia diet. Low blood sugar, and blood sugar swings, can trigger it. Hormones swings can trigger low blood sugar, so it might work.

17. Chris in PA

Chris in PA Well-Known Member

Here is my suggestions... and they have worked periodically. If I ate regular saltine crackers before I lifted my head off the pillow. Ginger ale that is not really cold - stirred to take most of the carbination out helped. Warm, not hot, tea, adding sugar is optional. And I found that if I ate what I craved, I kept that were it belonged.

And with one pregnancy, I actually did have to resort to taking a medication to stop it. That was very severe though.

18. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

try not to let your stomach get totally empty (that's why you usually get sick in the mornings, because you haven't eaten all night and your hormones are whacko). I had a little morning sickness with first child, hardly any with second (because I was much more healthier and much busier because first child was still so young) and then when had third child TEN years later at age 29, gee, I just generally felt worse the whole time....but I wasn't in as good physical shape because I'd had another illness which prevented me from exercising as much. with the first two pregnancies I walked and walked and walker and that really really helped!

Believe it or not, a little milk when I'd wake up in the middle of the night, seemed to keep the morning sickness from being so bad first thing in the morning!

But you sure brought back memories for me. I can remember being married to my first husband and being barefuly 18 and both of us standing in the bathroom CRYING because I'd woke up and thrown up and we were SO GLAD that God was blessing us with a child!!!!!!!!!!

19. vtfarma

vtfarma Well-Known Member

the acupressure wrist bands called sea bands worked for me and all my friends borrowed them too.

20. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

Well, you have gotten a lot of good advice. Two things I didnt see - but may have overlooked-
    Red Raspberry leaf tea is the pregnancy miracle tea. Try that, sip dont chug-a-lug. Also, sometimes a little WARM ginger ale works - again, sip.
    As a midwife, I can tell you that no two pregnancy's are the same, no two cures work the same. I know of more positive results from the red raspberry tea than anything else. Good luck to you!
    mama J