Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My poor DH was up most of the night with the gosh darn acid reflux! He always waits a couple hours after we have dinner before he comes to bed. He also takes Prevacid and props himself with a big stack of pillows when he goes to sleep. Is there anyone here who has dealt with this problem?

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ravenlost,
Are you able to fall asleep with no reflux problems within a few hours of eating?

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How many hours before going to bed at night do you eat your evening meal?

·
This is my life
3,833 Posts
as DH and I suffer from this we have had to figure out what works for us. We do not eat sweets after supper and try to control our carb intake for the last meal, this seem to help us. The general advice is to limit greasy foods and carbonated sodas.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
DH suffers....he uses prilosec OTC and avoids certain foods that seem to affect him more....he also doesnt go to sleep soon after eating.

Rachel
btw ty WIHH

·
Premium Member
3,891 Posts
Prilosec OTC, once a day, works for me. I was on a prescription and when my co-pay went up the pharmacist told me this was the same thing, only less expensive.

·
Premium Member
4,278 Posts
Try also moderating his diet - no sodas, avoid acidic foods. If he's overweight, weight loss is supposed to help. Is he taking meds in the am or pm? He may want to switch times and see if that helps.
For me, Prevacid works better that Prilosec. He may want to experiment with different meds to find the one that works best for him.

·
USMC can't fix stupid(s)
2,736 Posts
i've had it as a reaction to other meds.
prevacid worked, and i grew out of it.. and the original med.
however, there is a gal i work with, and her daughter, and they both had surgery for it!!
the mom said it was the sphincter muscle into the stomach...
she had to learn how to burp again, and will never have heartburn again..
i'd never heard of such a thing, but they both swear by the surgery.
3 days in the hospital tho, but never to be troubled again... :shrug:

·
Premium Member
5,256 Posts
I was taking Zantac for years and it really helped me but then it got to where it wasn't preventing the relux anymore.

Then my doctor put me on Nexium and I really gave that a try but the side effects were too severe for me.

Then my doctor put me on Protonix and that was the one that finally helped me but my insurance started fussing at me to use a generic brand of anti-reflux medication because the Protonix was so expensive. My co-pay was $50.

But the generic they put me on didn't work and lately I haven't been taking anything and suffering for it. I'm about ready to contact my doctor about it and tell him to prescribe the Protonix for me again and I'm going to tell my insurance company I have to have it and if they don't like it, tough.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
I'm taking Protonix.

big rockpile

·
Registered
289 Posts
RockyGlen said:
I take a teaspoon of baking soda dissolved in water and sleep propped up a little.
My great uncle constantly used baking soda and it eventually caused very extreme bleeding stomach ulcers.

I have chewed Papaya Enzyme tablets from Spring Valley and they have helped me.

Cathy S.

·
Mother,Artist, Author
3,532 Posts
Wind in Her Hair said:
that you can't use that d word on this site. They can say that in South Boston but you can't say it here. :)
?? Do you think everyone from Southie curses??

·
Mother,Artist, Author
3,532 Posts
farmergirl, my DD9 had severe acid reflux since birth. So I can sympathize greatly with you. She had it so bad she literally threw up after meals.
At one point, she was on 45 mg of Prevacid, 3 teas Zantac, 3 Teas Reglan, and 6 teas. of Mylanta everyday!! Then she had surgery to correct it.

My suggestion is if he's still getting it with the Prevacid, perhaps its time to talk to the doctor about increasing the dose or changing meds completely to something else. The other thing is eating smaller more frequent meals usually helps.

·
Premium Member
18,014 Posts
When I get a little heartburn a couple of Rolaids works fine for me.

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
I have had problems with stomach ulcers, heart burn and asophygal (sp?) ulcers. I have to be scoped on a regular basis to check on the damage to my esophagus. I have been on two diff meds (little purple pill and ?).

A few years back, I went on a diet called Prism - no processed foods etc. and have not had probs with GERD any more at all. I don't even have to take the meds.

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
farmergirl said:
Ravenlost,
Are you able to fall asleep with no reflux problems within a few hours of eating?
Sorry for not replying sooner. I was outside doing chores.

Yes, I can fall asleep within MINUTES of eating and have no reflux problems. Hubby and I often have a bowl of ice cream in bed while we are reading before lights out.

If I don't take my Nexium I will be up all night.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts