need advice--cold that won't quit

Discussion in 'Goats' started by dk_40207, Oct 31, 2006.

1. dk_40207

dk_40207 Well-Known Member

My smallest doeling has a cold. I got her about 1 1/2 wks ago and she had a little runny nose--now it is stuffy w/ thick snot, although it is still clear/slightly opaque.
    She is not coughing--but the other goats pick on her, and I am concerned that the stress won't let her heal. What do you all suggest? Should I be giving her any meds for the cold? The weather is cold/rainy here, so that isn't helpful:(

Christina

2. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

Does she have a temp?

3. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

i would give her some vit. c and benadryl. this will keep the noose a little bit dryer and prevent from getting a pneumonia. take her temp as well. vit b should help her deal with the stress and keep her appetite up.

4. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

if this persist you can give her a shot of LA 200. That cleared up my goats cough and snotty nose quick (like 3 days, noticed a big difference in his nasal dischage in one day). I only gave him one shot of 2ccs. He was around 15lbs. 2ccs may have been much though from what I hear.

5. dk_40207

Is the vit c and benadryl a drench? How much per body weight on those? I will have DH get some vit B today...I'm getting ready to go see them. Cow had bloat yesterday, I'm sick, goat is sick, back is hurt---when it rains it pours! (and it is raining right now, literally) ARGH!
    Thanks!

6. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

If she's being bottle fed, crush the tablets to a fine powder and serve in her milk. Most benadryl is already a powder, just take the capsule apart. Can't help you with how much. I would just blast her with lots of vitamin C, (2000 mg) per feeding and see what happens, but thats me.
    Tennessee John

7. susanne

i buy the chewable vit c 500mg from costco but i'm sure walmart or any pharmacy has them too. give her 2 three or four times a day. you can't overdose. once a day 3cc vit b under the skin. i would give 5 ml benedryl oral once a day.
    you should see improvement very fast.
    please take her temperature and if she has fever you might need antibiotica.

8. susanne

if you put the vit c in the milk you will get cheese :)
    benadryl also comes in liquid form

9. dk_40207

Thanks! I have those things! Will do!