need advice, antibiotic name &dosage

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mpillow, Apr 13, 2004.

1. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi All!

The vet is coming to disbud and vaccinate tomorrow at 9am eastern. I have a first time freshener that lost her baby a week ago because of breech delivery. She got engorged and I milked her and fed the baby a battle but he didnt live. One of her teets became scabbed over (from being new to milking and engorging) and I still milked on her and iodined after milking. She is now lumpy and tender on that side of udder and not milking on that side.
    She wont eat grain but did eat some hay, a hostess cherry pie and some bread and drank water. She seems depressed because of her baby as well as in pain due to the udder problem. The scab has dried and healing nicely, not weeping.
    She may also have a uterine infection due to large baby being breech. She kidded April 3.
    What do you recommend for antibiotic and at what dosage and frequency? I'd like to call vet before he comes out so he is sure to have antibiotic with him.
    Thanks
    Melissa

2. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Well-Known Member Supporter

It sounds like you are now definitely dealing with mastitis. Likely not a uterine infection --- did she pass the afterbirth? If you have an infection in there, the odor is unbelieveable. There are antibiotic udder infusions that will go in through her teat orifices.
    You will need to milk that junk out of that side one way or another.

I wouldn't feed her a lot of treats and junk that is going to upset her rumen. Let us know what the vet says.

Tracy

3. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

She did pass the afterbirth. It was early mastitis and the vet gave her an udder infusion just as you said. He said it wasnt too far along so the meds should work quickly. Left more meds for every 12 hrs..for 2 days.
    Thanks for the help!