need advice (again)

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by SDjulieinSC, Mar 27, 2006.

1. SDjulieinSC

SDjulieinSC Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with some ideas for introducing a new pig to my current resident.
    A friend is getting divorced and needed to find a home for a female pot belly. I currently have an adult feral barrow as a pet. He has been (at different times) with a donkey, two miniature horses, goats and a feral boar, all with no problems at all. With this in mind I told my friend it would be no problem to bring her pig to my house. I figured my pig would be happy for the company.
    WRONG!!! It was like a scene out of National Geographic!!!! Rudy did not like poor little Bessie! He charged and rammed her, then tried to throw her around with his tusks. She seemed not to notice, when she landed she just kept on her merrie way checking out her new home.
    I let this happen a few times then decided it was just not safe to let them be alone together. I moved her to a pen near by for the time being, but really want to keep them together.
    Anything you can suggest to get them used to each other? I was thinking that I might be able to section off a part of the big pen for a while and let him get used to her then try to let her loose in a week or two.
    What has worked for you?

2. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

I'd section off part of the pen so that he can see and smell her, but can't get to her. In a few days they should be friends. There still may be some pecking order trials at first, but it shouldn't be as bad if they're more used to each other.

3. beeman97

beeman97 Well-Known Member

I would remove "Rudy" from his normal surroundings & pen the both of them together but seperated for a week or 2. Removing him from his normal area will remove his thoughts of protecting his home.
    After a week or so i would move them both back to the "home" area & leave them together without seperation, after alittle time of who's boss they will do just fine.
    Rick

4. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

do you intend to breed these pigs?? any chance they were flirting? they can get pretty rough.

5. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

barrows have been castrated prior to the development of secondary sex characteristics. A stag has been castrated after the development of secondary sex characteristcs, boars are intact

6. SDjulieinSC

SDjulieinSC Well-Known Member

Shhh GeorgeK!!!! I wasn't going to tell Rudy! :nono:
    He was definately NOT flirting!!!! Even tuff love is not that tuff. He was out for blood, and was successful.
    I am going to try to section off part of the big pen this weekend and give them some together time. Then maybe next weekend try it without any barriers.
    As long as I'm on here again I'll ask another question. Do pot belly pigs not like water? The new one seems to avoid contact with anything but her lips, the big one on the other hand loves his big mud puddle more than anything in life. In the afternoon when I go out to feed he hits his "refreshed" puddle even before he eats. The pot belly seemed offended when I made her a puddle of her own.
    She has really yucky skin too, kind of like it is peeling. Anything I can do for that? :nono:

7. HobbyfarmingMO

HobbyfarmingMO Member

We have a baby pool for our pot-bellied pig and she climbs right in a lays down. I can't imagine why she wouldn't like the water ... maybe the weather is not warm enough for her. My daughter puts baby oil on this pig ... after she bathes it ... so we haven't had any problems with skin. (teenagers can be rather excessive) If you were going to try something like that, I would try mineral oil ... it's thicker and would help her skin. If that doesn't work, she might have some kind of dermatitus and would need something else.

Good luck ... keep us posted as to how the 2 of them do. I'm very interested to see how it turns out!