Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here is whats going on.. WE DEARLY love our animals.. so dont take this as we dont..

We have NEVER (except when recieving a pup) had worms.. but now all 4 of our dogs do ( they are little white worms near anus) well I have tried the "farm store" wormer to no avail.. we have cleaned up their "POOP" and done all we can think of. SHORT of taking them to the vet....

WE TYPICALLY would take em to the vet, but hubby has been laid off for 3 months now.. money is sooo tight that a vet bill would mean either not paying a few bills and having them shut off or... figure another way to cure the worms...

AND NO our vet will not take payments.. its cash up front or no service.. now another vet a town away will take post dated checks.. but I DONT WRITE if i DONT HAVE...

CAN ANYONE suggest anything to help?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Ok, you have to be species specific. What you're describing sounds like tapeworms, so get a product that's specifically for tapes. Nemex and piperazine won'd do it. Next, address the flea issue. Yep, that's one of the places dogs pick up tapeworms. Also by eating dead mice, squirrels, cat poop, etc. Otherwise, ask the vet for the meds only, not a trip to the vet or fecal test. Ask for droncit or whatever they recommend for tapes. Maybe you'll get lucky and vet won't require an office visit.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Yep, tapeworms. They are transmitted either by fleas or by eating rodents and rabbits.

There is an over-the-counter tapeworm medication available now. Active ingredient is praziquantel.

·
Premium Member
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, thats what I am doing,, I have treated for fleas as well!! I figured thats where they were getting them. CAUSE them varmin have been so bad this year!!.
OK, i will call the vet friday, as they arent open on Thursdays ( and holidays ) so, I will attempt to give em a call!! THANKS!!

I EVEN did the cats!!:))

1 - 6 of 6 Posts