Need advice about feather beds please

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by NancyinArkansas, Jan 12, 2005.

1. NancyinArkansas

NancyinArkansas Well-Known Member

My gueen size bed is too hard for me and I m thinking about getting one of those feather pillow toppers for my bed.Has any one had experience with these .Thank you for helping me.Nancy

2. ElectricUpdate?

ElectricUpdate? Member

my girlfriend got one of these, and at first it felt as if i was sleeping on the side of a mountain. now, about 3 months later, i tried sleeping on a regular bed and it felt way too hard. so i recommend the featherbed, though you're going to have to break it in.

3. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

I seem to remember that there was a thread in CF about them. Do a search or ask over there. I'm sure someone would help.

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I got my daughter one and she luvs it. You do need a reasonable matteress under it but firmer rather than softer for her taste anyhow.

5. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

I, too, bought my daughter one a few years ago. She LOVES it. It's like floating on a cloud. It would be too soft for some, I suppose, but I like it a lot!

6. vickinell

vickinell Well-Known Member

I used to have one, and gave it to my granddaughter. I use a foam pad, the kind about 2 inches thick and the top looks scored, on top of my mattress. It is really comfy. I have a down comfortable and pillows and feather and down pillows. It seems to make my bedroom very fuzzy. Instead of dust I have feather and feather particles all over.

I'm spoiled by the comfort but I have to "dust" often. Does anyone else have this problem? I just bought new synthetic pillows to use on my bed for the pillow shams but plan to sleep with my down, to see if that will make a difference.

It seems like I liked the feather mattress at first but the feathers clump together and your bed looks lumpy. My grand daughter says she loves it.

7. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

There was just an article this month in CS or MEN about using sheeps wool to make mattress covers. It seems really interesting , so much so I am going to make one when mine get sheared!

8. Mickey

Mickey Well-Known Member Supporter

I have one and I love it. You do have to give it a good shake everyday to keep it "fluffy", and yes they do shed feathers and you are likely to get "stuck" by a stray feather now and then, but you can buy a heavy featherbed cover and that will eliminate those problems.
    Mickey

9. vickinell

vickinell Well-Known Member

I was wondering if the thread count of the fabric makes a difference in how the feathers escape. Now that the white sales are going on I have thought of buying a twin sheet with 350 count for 6.99 and making covers for my old pillows. What do you think?

10. Dixie912

Dixie912 Well-Known Member

We have been sleeping on a feather mattress topper for years. My husband has a really bad back and he can't sleep at all without it any more. It
    's like sleeping on a cloud. We also sleep under a down comforter. There is nothing like it. He says in Germany when he was a boy this is how everybody slept.

11. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    I dont have a feather mattress as I like a good firm bed but i have a feather comforter and wouldnt trade it for the world. When I was in Missouri over xmas and the temps went to 8 degrees and our fireplaces couldnt keep us warm, I was toasty warm in bed with that feather comforter. At home I can turn the heat way down at night and still sleep warm. Im sure its saved me a bundle and I only paid 15 dollars for it at Goodwill, a queen size Ralph Lauren. If you have trouble with feathers you might make a duvet cover for it. Like a big pillow case. Only problem with that feather comforter is that it is so puffy, my poor old dog has to take 3-4 runs at the bed to jump up on it, but once she makes it up there she loves to make a nest and snuggle in. :haha:

12. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

We have feather beds and also comforters. Saves us a fortune in heat. We also use duvet covers for them so feathers do not bother us, although I never have noticed them coming through the covers anyway. They are soooo cosy, its hard to get up in the morning.

13. kittiemeow

kittiemeow Member

DH just got me a new one for Christmas. The last one died several months ago....it developed some large holes....what a mess! We couldn't afford to replace it right away and every morning without it I woke up with a sore lower back. Now that we have the new one, I am waking up pain free again!

The only thing about feather beds is that they do seem to aggravate people who have allergies to dust. If you have severe allergies you may want to avoid them.

14. fellini123

fellini123 Well-Known Member

My hubby sweats a lot at night. I was wondering how awful these would be because of that?? Can you wash them?? Can the feathers get.....well....smosshy??

Alice in Virginia