need a vacuum pump for my milker

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by reneeearle, Feb 25, 2005.

1. reneeearle

reneeearle Well-Known Member

Does anyone know the specifics for a vacuum pump for a portable milker bucket?? I have everything that I need, except for the pump. I need to know how big of a pump I need, what kind of pressure? Etc...
    Thanks,
    Renee

2. Buggs

Buggs Member

I don't think the size of the pump is very important. What is needed is a pressure regulator to keep the vacuum at a steady pressure. I think the pressure is a timed pulse of on and off series.

3. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

vacume is constant, pulsation makes the vacume switch sides . what brand of milker? cows ,goats, sheep?small dairy farms all over with them tucked in the shed!we bought a whole system exept the bulk tank for$100. couple of years back!

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

The inlet side of an air compressor is a vacuum pump. Once you know what the vacuum needs are you can use a simple air compressor as a vacuum pump.

5. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

Hey, if you can find me one of those systems (Surge or other) for that price, let me know and I'll gladly pay the freight and a finder's fee to you for it (above and beyond the sale price, of course)! I grew up with hand and machine milking cows, but my dd and I have goats. Milking one or two by hand is okay, but we're looking at a few more milkers this year and with my carpal tunnel problems, I don't think I can milk all of them by hand any more. I know a Surge system can be converted to handle 2 teats rather than four, although I may have to do some experimenting to get it just right. If nothing else, we'll milk 2 goats at a time?

6. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

hi many goats! if i come across another will email you. it was a surge we got with a receving jar and all the pipe line(stainless steel)not hard to convert it to a two teat .we milk sheep and our first set up was a bucket with air pulsation. however for sheep you need a high pulsation rate and we had to switch to electronic pulsation for this .the surge bucket pulsater can be adjusted to goat tempo easy. plug to outlets and loop right and left on the pulsater. actualy found one of the air pulsaters we had converted for our milker .were abouts are you?

7. Buggs

Buggs Member

Carpal tunnel, eh?

Although rarely, it can sometimes be caused by low blood sugar. Try a big glass of orange juice next time you are hurting bad and see if it goes away in 15 minuets. If it does,you don't have carpal tunnel syndrome. To make this problem go away, take alpha lypoic acid that can be got at any health food store.

8. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi ford major, I'd be thrilled to get that milking setup if you come across one. I'm out here in SW Washington state. This used to be a big dairy area and you'd think some of that equipment would still show up at garage sales (which I love), but so far, it hasn't. I'll be looking forward to that e-mail. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Bugs, I'll try the O.J. Usually the problems start after I've been running the tiller for a few hours too long, or cutting brush with the loppers, etc. Usually rest and ibuprofen does the trick, but I can see surgery down the line if things don't change. I'd like to avoid that :)

9. reneeearle

reneeearle Well-Known Member

I would like to get my milker set up soon, too. How did you people come across that system? Just asked people? I am milking goats, right now, 2, next year, we'll be milking 6. I think that just a bucket will do fine. But we have talked about doing a bigger opperation, with the pipelines, and all. But, like I said, right now, just the bucket system will work fine. Has anyone ever used an air compressor for milking? How did it work? Will the pulsator on the milker be enough to control the amount of vacuum? Keep me posted!!!!
    Renee