need a quick answer--

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by ceresone, May 9, 2006.

1. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

I'll be off line for awhile, after tomorrow-- I need to know-quick.
    I have 5 different kinds of ornamental corn--will they cross THIS YEAR? i know i cant save seeds.
    Same on winter squash--5 kinds--will there be a difference in the squash itself? i'm sure they will cross polinate-and i cant save seeds--guess what i'm wanting to know is--will it affect the eating quality this year? same with cucumbers--etc--will any-or all of these things be affected THIS YEAR?

2. rocket

rocket Well-Known Member

No, there won't be any difference in what you harvest this year. The difference would be in any plants you grew from the new, cross-pollinated seed.

3. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks, Rocket, thats what i was hoping for. I'm saving enough seed back, so i can seperate them next year, but cant now.

4. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

Since crossing affects the seeds (and hence, the next generation), if you plan on eating your ornamental corn (making cornmeal, perhaps), this year's seed, which will be a cross, may taste a little different than you expect.

5. zealot

zealot Soli Deo Gloria

What do you mean, you can't save seeds? You've got a new exclusive variety that nobody else has! Grow them out and save the new varieties you like best. And soon you'll have a new heritage standard going.