Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new 6 cu. ft. wheelbarrow primarily to haul firewood out of the woods from areas where my ATV or pickup cannot access. I've had one-wheel barrows in the past and these can be kind of tippy. I'm concerned that the two-wheel barrows may not turn easily.

So, what is your experience? Which type would you recommend and why?

What about tires? Pneumatic or solid?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I would go with two, if the price is right. we have a one wheel and if it is even the slightest bit top heavy or other wise unbalanced we end up loading it two or three times. I also find they are tippy while doing the loading but more so when moving.

·
construction and Garden b
7,378 Posts
one wheeler!!!! the two wheelers are not good on uneven ground, get a rocking motion that dumps the load. great on concrete floors though>

·
Registered
746 Posts
For hauling wood I'd vote two wheels. The needed stability is there when running through rough ground. I've tipped too many loads in a single wheeler trying said method. The two wheeler doesn't turn as tightly and you can't wiggle it to spread your contents, pretty much just a dump out the front.
I think the one wheeler was designed that way so you could take it up a plank or board on a work sight.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
there's no such thing as level ground here. i love my two wheeled barrow. it's much steadier and easier to handle, never had a problem with turns.

got a nice one at ace hardware for 119 dollars that should last a lifetime. well, i do have to air up the tires once in a while.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Double the wheels
Double the ease

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
i use a two wheel for firewood and i love it. they are not hard to steer. if you want to talk tipping motion...get a one wheel on some rocks sometime. a two wheeler lets you haul more wood as you can manage the weight. just be careful about the quality of the wheels under a heavy load and rough terrain. i replaced the wheels on mine with the only wheels i could find because the rubber was shot on the original tires. thye turned out to be cheap junk and i have busted the hubs in both wheels when hauling wood over rocks. i had welded, but the other one needs done. if you run across some old style heavy steel wheels vs. the new junk...buy the heavy wheels.

i would shy away from solid tires. they don't go over obsticles very well. had them...hated them.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Why not a wagon? You can get them with nice big fat wheels, and I have always found it easier to pull than push. An added benefit to a wagon is that you can pull them behind a mower, ATV, or tractor.

·
None of the Above
1,741 Posts
I have a single that is at least 65 years old that my dad gave me.
It will hold 2 #90 bags of concrete mixed and I think it has the original tire on it. Maybe 3 if I could pick it up.
I think it will out live me.
The luxuries of new stuff don't come my way if the old works just fine.

·
Premium Member
18,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fixer1958 said:
....The luxuries of new stuff don't come my way if the old works just fine.
I hear ya, Fixer1958....and sometimes, the old stuff works better than the new.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
I like one wheel, with a no-flat tire. The one I got from Lowe's looks just like the pictured one, but with one wheel and steel handles rather than wood. Far more maneuverable than two wheel in tight spots. Just my .02, but I use wheelbarrows a lot, and especially for hauling firewood to the front door.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Get the one with TWO wheels and don't look back! I used to have a one wheeler, but got this 2 wheeler while were were building the foundation for the house. The one wheeler has gathered dust ever since. Easier on your back, just as easy to maneuever (even in tight spots) and won't tip as easy as a one-wheeler. I won't go back unless I absolutley HAVE to.

·
Premium Member
7,154 Posts
If you are pushing a wheel barrow ahead of you instead of pulling it behind you, you are working twice as hard and getting less done. TRY IT -
Get between the handles and pull it.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Growing up I can remember magazines with pictures of Women carrying giant bundles of firewood for the home. Old ways best. Let the women carry the firewood to the farmstead, cut it up, bring it in the house, make the fires, and when done take out the ashes.

Wheelbarrows are not needed. That money could be used for more important things, like a nice recliner chair for the man of the house. :)

·
Registered
11,144 Posts
Either a garden cart with super high quality bearings in the wheels or else one of those things that look like a little red wagon on steroids. Wheelbarrow just isnt great for heavy loads unless you have to "walk the plank" with it. A two wheel garden cart trumps a two wheel wheelbarrow cause the wheels are much larger and move easier over rough ground. Again super high quality bearings in anything hand pushed or pulled are well worth the money/effort. I used front hubs off old mini car for my garden cart. The bearings are so much better than bicycle wheel bearings. or sleeve bushings used in wheelbarrow wheels. Makes it much easier to push around even with the extra weight of the car hubs. And no I dont use car wheels on it, I cut center out of the car rims and welded it into center of couple old narrow large diameter milk cart wheels. So the milk cart wheels just bolt to the hubs like car wheel would.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
CF,
If you could rig a one wheel wheelbarow with an ATV sized tire, I think that would be the thing best to push out firewood in rough or tight areas that you can't get into otherwise. That size of tire would give you traction and mobility that a small wheelbarrow tire wouldn't. I think it would be less tipsy also.

·
Columnist, Feature Writer
4,568 Posts
I have an 8 cu ft with two wheels. Turning and uneven ground aren't a problem for me. When I filled it with rocks from the garden it was heavy but I got it going.

·
Registered
437 Posts
uncle Will in In. said:
If you are pushing a wheel barrow ahead of you instead of pulling it behind you, you are working twice as hard and getting less done. TRY IT -
Get between the handles and pull it.
Ever tried to pull a one wheeled barrow with a load? I bet ya can"t. Unless your brain works backwards. hehe.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have a new two wheeled wheel barrow, sort of like the one pictured above, except it has a solid bar instead of the two handles (picture a solid bar coming out like two handles with the bar between the two handles as well).

I can load it up with 300 pounds of grain (50# bags), grab the handle with one hand, spin it on a dime and walk off pulling it with one hand. I love it. We have no flat ground here really and I've never had any troubles with turning it or getting it in and out of tight spots. I'll never use a one wheel one again. :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts