Need a new digital camera, which one.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by porboy298, Mar 24, 2005.

1. porboy298

porboy298 Well-Known Member

I have read all the old posts on digital camera but need a liitle more help.
    I have a number of things I need to sell so need a better camera than I have,
    an old polaroid pdc 640 that has seen better days.
    I would like something that is easy to use, takes good ebay type pictures and is
    easy on my pocketbook as possible. But on the same token, something that will
    last better than my old polaroid and has good support unlike my old one. If I have to pay more for a good one, so be it.
    What kinds do you all use?? Pros and Cons.
    Thanks
    Bill

2. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Canon first,then Sony.Because they have the best lenses in the business from what Ive heard.IMHO,cameras are a ford/chevy thing so all is just our opinions.I will get Canon,sis's Canon 4.1 megapixil prints nice 8X12 pictures.

BooBoo

3. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

BooBoo's right, Canon is a great pick. I heard from a good source that the Canon Digital Rebel is about to really drop price in about a month or two because of a new camera they are coming out with.

Do some research here:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/
    http://bhphotovideo.com/
    http://dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp
    http://www.tomshardware.com/index.html

4. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

We have two Kodak digital cameras. Mine is a DX7590 and it was pricy ($450), but it takes the best pictures I've ever seen, and is incredibly easy to use. My daughter's is a CX7300. It was about $100 and it's a very nice little camera.

Stacy

5. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

More research to confuse even more...............
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/

If your planning to do a lot of indoor shooting, I'd suggest getting an AC adapter and save your battery life (these cameras EAT batteries like candy).

Also try to buy at a local store if at all possible. If your not happy with the way it performs it'll be a lot easier to return it.

As a side note, you don't have to have a digital to get pictures for selling on line. You can use a regular camera and have a CD made when developing your film. Of course the downside to this is, you'll have to wait to see if your photos are good or not, with a digital you have instant gratification.

6. pamintexas

pamintexas Well-Known Member

Over a year ago I bought an Olympus D-380 that I use for eBay all the time. I'm not much of a photographer, but it works well for me. Very easy to operate and the quality of the photos I think are good (if I can keep a steady hand). I paid about $200 for the camera, CD, rechargeable batteries, charger - everything I needed. My daughter has had hers for several years and is also pleased. I was told not to buy one with less than 200 pixels.

7. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Wow! Great link to see actual pictures. Should help answer a lot of questions about features/prices/ and picture quality.That Sony 7 megapixel for 399.00,that is quite a deal.Very impressive for the price.

BooBoo

8. Steph in MT

Steph in MT Well-Known Member

We just got an Olympus C-5000 after months of online research. We needed one for ebay that took good macro shots as my husband cuts and polishes gemstones and fossils. This is a GREAT camera for the price and it's nice because you can go full auto or do all your settings manually. It's been a good camera to "grow into" as we learn to use all the features. You can also use removable lenses (not included) for some awsome pics. We use our tele-photo all the time for wildlife pics. It also does quicktime movies -no sound and not the best quality but a neat feature none the less. Here's a link where they have them at the best price I've found:
    http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=OMC5000
    Take care~
    Steph

9. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

Kodak cx7330 here, no problems.

10. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

I got a Canon (I think A80) a year or so ago. The current models have more megapixels and are cheaper, I think. I bought mine because of 3 primary things:
    It fit my hands well without my fingers blocking or activating something at the wrong time, it uses AA batteries so in an emergency I can use disposable batteries but a good charger and a couple of sets of NiMH AAs are pretty cheap, and it uses a Compact Flash memory card, which is reasonably priced and commonly available in many sizes. I had t ried some cameras that had a sliding cover across the front, that covered the lens and also was the ON/OFF switch and found that I often accidentally turned off the camera while holding it. I didn't want a camera that took special batteries, and I have found that my Canon has really good battery life. I got a Ray-O-Vac charger with a car adapter that plugs into the cigarette lighter socker and a set of 4 NiMH batteries for around $25 and a second set of 4 batteries on sale for under $10.

Most important thing, I think, is to go to a store that will let you handle the cameras without having them attached to a cable or security thing, so you can really tell what they feel like. Check lots of reviews as suggested above, and good luck.

Jim

11. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

The Fujifilm 3800 was a Consumer's best buy some time ago. It orginally sold in the $600 range. We bought one for a local volunteer group. It was used hard. Meaning the camera body looks like it went through a war. Lots of scratches. The camera still works flawlessly. It's a 3.2 megapixel. It uses AA batteries which is great because you can buy rechargeables NiMH batteries and save a ton of money if you plan on taking a lot of pictures.

After using the camera, I bought one off eBay. The missus uses it to take closeups of flowers. It's amazing to bring up a picture on the computer and keep zooming in and still see clear detail. I wouldn't be surprised if you could get one for under $200 off eBay. We recently used the group's camera to digitize a county road map and it worked well.

12. MissChris

MissChris Well-Known Member

I also have the kodak 7330 and love it. Easy to use, nice pictures, under $150.00. I use it mostly for ebay pictures.

13. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Just did a lot of research and ended upw ith a Sony P-93A. Its a 5.1 mega pixels camera, with a 3X zoom. It uses AA batteries and was the best buy I could find. It cost $278.00 which was 10 bucks less than the sort of comparable Kodak which is a 4.0 mega pixel camera. The Sony has 5 choices for number of Mega Pixels it will shoot at and even allows me to take motion pictures in the multiple burst mode.

14. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We are also in the market for a camera. Thought about the Kodak 7530. Anyone have one; what do you like and what don't you like about it?

15. Orville

Orville Well-Known Member

Be sure to get a camera with an optical zoom lens of at least 3X. 6X is better. Using digital zoom diminishes photo quality. Most cameras have a combination of both, so be sure the optical zoom is adequate. A high digital zoom number is meaningless, in my opinion. Also, don't get anything below 4 megapixel. Chip size bears on image quality, so the smaller the camera, the smaller the chip, and the poorer the image quality. Tiny cameras also have tiny lenses, which also work against image quality. Good, big lenses let in more light and take better pics. I've had two Sonys in a row, and am quite pleased with them.

16. Mastiff

Mastiff Well-Known Member

After considerable research I picked the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 with the 12 x Leica optical zoom with a constant F2.8 aperture and 5MP We have had it since November and just love it. If you really like to zoom in on people, scenery, things, and wildlife this is a great camera with an awesome Leica lense.
    It is certainly not the camera for everybody but it sure works for us.
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz20/

17. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

18. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

19. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Fujifilm S7000 is what I've got, and I love it. In fact, the photo forum I've joined has several folks who use it. It's a fantastic camera and can be found for under $500 if you do some searching.

Dh uses it for ebay, I use it for soap catalogs. It's easy to use, just point and shoot for those who aren't into the gadgetry of photography, but it can do all that, too.

Here are some links to a few pics I've taken with it.

http://kesoaps.com/pics/arborpioneer.JPG

http://kesoaps.com/pics/fairhavensteps.JPG

http://kesoaps.com/pics/blossoms.JPG

Here's a product pic:
    http://kesoaps.com/pics/felting%20kit.JPG

20. idahodave

idahodave Well-Known Member

I'd get one that uses replaceable batteries (AA cells are nice) so that you don't have to worry about keeping the internal battery charged. You can still buy a set of rechargable batteries and use them. The NiMh internal batteries that come with the camera can cost $$$ to replace, some of my freinds bought new cameras rather than replace the battery. Ever price a replacement cell phone battery? it's cheaper to get a new phone.