Need a new career direction

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by New Mexican, Aug 7, 2004.

1. New Mexican

New Mexican Well-Known Member

I'm in a rut. I work at a desk w/computer ALL day as an Operations Manager for a Medicaid billing company. I'm so tired of it all. I'm cranky when I return home and only do the minutest of house chores ie: laundry, minimal cooking. This place is messy.........I need a new life!

Only thing is, I make more than DH. I only have a two year accting degree and have no desire to go back to any school at my age (47). I'd be willing to go to a tech-type school but I'd have to convince DH to allow me. He'll get health insurance in a few months. Only thing.....i get bored easily. If they did testing for A.D.D. back in the 60's, I'd probably have it!

Has anyone gone the "good life" route and changed career paths? If so, what was it that you did and now love to do!! I"m just wanting to hear what others do to "make a living" to get some ideas.

Thanks for letting me vent here!

2. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

........................It seems to me that the Course for you to take is SO clear so as to be Hidden, .....You need to form your own Medical Billing Firm , utilize the same knowledge you are using NOW, Start subcontracting and beat your old company at their own game. Hire talented people as your company grows, let them earn a part of the company and in a few years sellout, bank the Profit and move into the mountains.............fordy...... :eek: :)

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I second Fordy on this one. You have some good knowlege and skills to start your own business.

4. New Mexican

Hmmmmmmm........interesting.
    Thanks for seeing that! I'll take it under advisement.

However, I do want to get AWAY from any kind of computer work. Ours is unique in that we do not bill for doctors......we bill for schools. Anybody work for schools that could use some consulting??

5. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

your not going to get totally away from computers. I left engineering in 01 in favor of worm farming and investing. I use the computers more now than I did in my industrial career.

6. New Mexican

Thanks Shrek......you're right. I just get tired in sitting IN FRONT of them. But I've got some food for thought now.

I just might go into consulting. I'm putting my feelers out now.

7. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...............Actually , you could come at It from the Opposite perspective.....i.e.....you could validate both the accuracy of the numbers and content of the orders ...for the school district(s) . And , once you develop your software for Auditing process and procedure you can apply that over on to a similiar format for the medical profession . But then you get involved in the Medicare Matrix and who knows what inaccuracies lurk within there .
    .................Or, you could simply work on a 10% commission for identifying all the Overages for the government that Halliburton has billed them....My guess you'll retire in about 3 months, a VERY rich , New Mexican . .....fordy.... :eek: :)

8. OUVickie

OUVickie Well-Known Member Supporter

If you need to keep your retirement, move around in the government job circle. State or federal. I work at a University and I started in 2001, since then I've had 6 different jobs in the IT dept. I can honestly say, I haven't gotten bored!
    I can also, move from one dept. to another w/o losing any of my benefits.

9. New Mexican

First of all, there's already software out there. And I'm not an IT person by ANY means. Since I've been w/the company from it's beginning, at least under this owner, we learned all about it on our own. I know I've learned much and can really consult. (Thanks Fordy, for helping my thought process going here!!)

It's a very small company. Started by the son, now run by the Dad. It's only me, the boss, the daughter part time (ugh :() and another full time input gal. NO retirement and NO health benefits. This is why it would be easy but I need somewhere to go, ya know?

So, I'm really free to roam. I'm just so darn SICK of sitting AND working for a rich family! Plus,I've had to get another pair of glasses just for 25" view from my eyes to the monitor. Now I use THREE pair of prescriptions! UGh again. :(

Just thinking aloud here. I know that our bodies were not created to sit in front of a monitor ALL day!

10. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.....................This family has NO sense of sharing the Wealth . In this particular situation it seems that you are carrying most of the Load and NOT receiving any benefits or the Appreciation of the Increasing value of the Business thru the passage of time . In, today's world talented and creative workers expect to receive a salary plus a portion of the actual ownership of the company and any owner who doesn't compensate them accordingly is risking the loss of the employee and the formation of a company who will be a direct competitor for their business.........fordy....... :eek: :)

11. New Mexican

Exactly Fordy. And around here....there are 100 people ready to take my job for 1/2 the pay. :eek: This "family-owned" business does not want to pay any medical. Although they do slip us some bonuses through the year which are nice and they do NOT pay my state's income tax (nor, obviously collect it), I'm sick and tired of making someone else rich! My body hurts etc.

I've already put my "feelers" out...thanks to you!! I want to start thinking of consulting to increase revenues in MY HOME state. I work in TX that borders us, which is easier and more pay, but sometimes money is not everything, KWIM??

12. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

I second the others. Go into business for yourself!!! Especially since they are offering you no benefits!

My husband went into business for himself about five years ago, as a licensed electrician and handyman. He said recently he would never ever work for someone else again! and wishes he'd done this several years ago!

If you get going you could hire someone else to do the actual computer work and you could just make the contacts....

Of if you're working for youself you could even do a lot of work from your home....that makes it a lot better.

If I can't sleep at night I just come in here to my home office and do several articles I need to do for the newspaper....then in the daytime I can work with my animals or go for interviews, etc. and I'm not so pressed for time. You can work at YOUR schedule for YOUR business! Best wishes!

13. Laura626

Laura626 Well-Known Member

I'm reading a good book on the topic. The Comfort Trap (Or What if You're Riding a Dead Horse) by Judith Sills,Ph.D. Very thought provoking/empowering. Good luck from a fellow rut refugee!!

14. Janon

Janon 993cc Geo Metro

I think sometimes we all just need a change... unfortunately, finances often dictate where we work and for how long.

Computers: love'm, been working with them since the early eighties. If a computer can help you do something quicker and with less hassle, then so be it... but there is something impersonal and numbing about using a computer, especially for extended periods.

Going into business for yourself: Talk to anyone who starts any business from the ground up... more work, longer hours, far more complicated and less money than any "regular" job... especially in the beginning.

There is definately merit to the "staying out of debt" and "simplifying" philisophies... because the less you owe, the more open your options are regarding income.

cheers and best regards,

15. Hogsubie

Hogsubie Well-Known Member

16. I left a career in the oil business years ago. I found a new career on the Internet.

I suppose the 'good life' to one person may not be for another. I'm still working at a desk indoors, but I do make my own hours and am in complete control over how much I earn.

I see the Internet as a place to get free advertising. In particular, I'm referring to search engine promotion. I concentrate on selling subscriber services (dialup Internet service) and used to provide technical support, but I found a reasonable outsourcer a few months ago. I like subscriber services because when my luck with the search engines changes I still have income.

They issue to me is freedom. I can leave anytime I like, even for days at a time if I choose.