Need a little help

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Al. Countryboy, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

I have a doe that just kindled last night that has ear mites in one ear. She was already bred when I noticed the problem. I read where Ivermectin was effective in the treatment of different types of mites. I also have Ivermectin available. A site on the net said to give 400ug kg orally. I think that it was given 10 t0 14 days appart for 3 times. Not sure on how to figure the amount. Also is it safe to give to a nursing doe that just kindled? Thanks for your help. :)

2. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't think I would chance medicating a nursing doe, except as a last resort. Especially one who has just kindled.

Have you tried putting vegetable oil in the ear? It smothers the ear mites and is, of course, non-toxic. It worked really well on my first buck who had ear mites when he was purchased... a couple of treatments is all it took. Olive oil works well, but corn, sunflower, canola... whatever you have. Some people use mineral oil but I prefer to avoid petroleum products for my critters.

An eye-dropper or one of those squeeze bottles with a narrow mouth (like you would use for mustard) both work well. If you coat the whole inside of BOTH ears (you can use a cotton ball or your finger to spread it around) and let a bit run down into the internal ears, that should do it. The rabbit will not be pleased and will shake her head vigorously.

I really suggest you take care of that tonight before the kits become infected too.

Good luck with her and let us know how it works.

3. Boleyz

Boleyz Prognosticator, Artist

Buy a can of engine starting fluid and give the doe a brief shot of it in each ear.

Ether kills ear mites instantly as well as their eggs. I've successfully treated rabbits, cats and dogs this way.

It clears up fast.

I used to use wd-40, but they reformulated it and took the ether out. Starting fluid will do the same thing.

I don't think it would affect her nursing, but since they do a lot by smell when they have babies, I dunno if I'd want to take the chane on the ether scent confusing her and making her kill or ignore her newborns.

4. Al. Countryboy

For your help. I feel that this doe was infected when I bought her and just now noticed. The mites seem to be way down at the base of the ear. I have olive oil which I will put on her and will I get a can of starter fluid as a back up.. Thanks again.

5. lscheopner

lscheopner lscheopner

We have used ivomec on pregnant goats and a dog once with no effects to the babies. I would think you could use it on the rabbit if needed. We gave ours orally.

Laina

6. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Perhaps, but rabbits tend to be sensitive to medications -- more like cats than dogs. I'd still try the olive oil first.

7. Honorine

Honorine Carpe Vinum Supporter

I use starter fluid to euthenize sick kits, it works fast, not something I would chance putting on a doe with kits, I'd go with the oil.

8. Hilda

Hilda Well-Known Member

Hi Honorine,

How do you use starter fluid to euthenize? I am looking at all the options for a humane, painless & quick euthenize when the rabbits are too young to be dispatched in the usual butchering way (bopping on the head or gun).

Thanks!

9. dlwelch

dlwelch Well-Known Member

From personal experience and the experience of many other breeders,
    Ivomec in the proper dosing is safe for pregnant and lactating rabbits.
    However, due to no published research on residual time in rabbits
    raised for meat, I would be very careful with allowing these rabbits
    to be sold for human consumption (or pets with a sensitivity to
    ivermectin).

My personal preference is to use oil as I don't have to be concerned
    about a withdrawal period for meat consumption. It keeps me out of
    trouble with the USDA meat inspectors!

Linda Welch

10. Al. Countryboy

These are NZ bunnies and even though we will not be eating the doe, we plan to eat most of her off spring. Babies are nursing and sure the meds will be in the milk. Thanks for your comment on the ivomec. :) Will stick with the other methods of treatment.

11. annie716

annie716 Well-Known Member

Baby oil works too with no ill effects!

12. Honorine

Honorine Carpe Vinum Supporter

I put the baby in a bag, then place in a starter fluid soaked rag, close the bag up. Often they go right away, sometimes move around a bit. Seems to act quickly on the rabbits. Now I've seen it used with chickens, and that often takes a lot longer, they don't seem to be effected the same way. The ether basicly puts them to sleep and smothers them, but I always leave them in the bag for an hour or more to make sure. I really hate doing it, but I have mini rex and I do get peanuts, their going to starve to death, this is far kinder.

Add on- some folks have mentioned in the past that the starter fluid can irritate/burn eyes, but since the babes I'm putting down haven't opened their eyes yet I haven't had that problem.

13. Bernadette

Bernadette Enjoying Polish Rabbits

It wasn't that many years ago that ether was used as an anesthetic for mothers in childbirth!

I think this is a very humane way of dealing with critters that MUST be done away with that are not going to be consumed. One thing that I feel is important though - be bold with the amount of ether used - make sure you use enough that the end result is achieved very quickly. And as ether was used in the past to anesthetize I feel confident that the end is pain free and humane.

14. Hilda

Hilda Well-Known Member