Need a little help/holstein

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by chrisnev, Oct 26, 2005.

1. chrisnev

chrisnev Well-Known Member

We are looking at a an almost 4 month old holstein heifer and were wondering what a fair price would be on her...we have to make a decision qwickly so any help would be greatly appreciated..she is a beauty!! thanks Chris

2. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

One thing I would like to know, that can help in a big way for price. Is she registered or is she grade?

For Grade, 4 months old I would say anywhere from 500.00-700.00. Remember calves, 100lb calves at the market is going for 4-6.00+ a lb, but the price doesn't increase as much beyond that point for grade.

For Registered, 4 months it would be about 1000.00, to 1500.00, depending their pedigree. I paid 1500 a piece for my holsteins, they were 4-6 months old.

Edit: Actually while getting information as far as grade/registered goes, ask who the heifers sire, and the heifers dam's sire is. Could help with price as well, because if it is a grade heifer, it can be registered through the generations to eventually get 100% RHA. If you had good breeding to start with, and keep breeding positive, you would have some good genetics in its backround, and valuable heifers in the future (may not be your angle, but keep this in mind).

Jeff

3. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

Three years ago I paid $400.00 for my holstein heifer (5 weeks old). That has no bearing on now, but it kind of is in line with what Jeff wrote about unregistered holsteins.

4. quailkeeper

quailkeeper Well-Known Member

The local dairy will not sell heifers but he said if he did they would be $400 for day olds. These are also holsteins.