Need a list of rules for hunting lease

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Marilyn in CO, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Marilyn in CO

Marilyn in CO Well-Known Member

We are looking at a new set of goose hunters this season on our farm and I need to make up some rules for them. Any ideas?

2. Must be notified within 24 hours of the date(s) they plan to hunt. Must let know how many people will be in the hunting party. Must pick up and remove all trash accumulated. Must be aware of houses and livestock at all times while hunting. Must abid by all game laws. Must hunt only area where the landowner gives permission. Must report any person who does not have permission to trespass.

3. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

Attach financial penalties to the "must"s, so that for instance if they don't haul their trash out they'll be making a clear decision that they'll be charged for out.

Specify that the lease is NOT transferable. At least one of the lessees must be present - no just palming it off onto "friends and guests".

4. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

I'd suggest including a description of your boundaries so your hunters have no excuse if they tresspass on the neighbor's lands. There's a group of hunters that lease a parcel next to ours that continually cause problems.

5. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

must abide by right of refusal of entry and expulsion for what ever reason . most hunters are curtious but every now and again people have their off days . as well as cost for trash clean up cost of repair of damage or polution eg. a gas tank accidentily spills .you do not want to be on the hook for a large scale clean up!!

6. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

We provide anyone who hunts our property with a map (you can get a section map from your county map office, at least in Ohio, for 50 cents) with our property lines outlined in highlighter. We require them to carry that with them at all times in addition to the permission slip.

Mike

7. Jan in CO

Jan in CO Well-Known Member Supporter

Marilyn, the ranch where hubby and his brother hunt antelope requires a written request, with vehicle description and license, names of all hunters in party, their hunting license numbers, home address and phone and they show their ID at the gate going and coming out. These folks are nice enough to allow permitted hunters in, so our guys are always careful to clean up after themselves and careful of the livestock on the ranch. Good luck! Jan in CO

8. thebugguy

thebugguy Not just another fungi

Marylin-

I myself am considering leasing my land for hunting and have a lot of questions regarding how it was done. Here is one website with several good links that I found helpful:

http://www.agmrc.org/agmrc/commodity/agritourism/huntingleases/

Particularly check out "Developing a hunting lease", "Hunting leases in Kansas" (a .pdf file), and "The (Written) Lease".

The one issue that I am terrified of: liability insurance. I don't want some jack----- shooting himself in the foot and sueing me for all I'm worth (not much besides my land).

Hope this helps...

thebugguy

9. Marilyn in CO

Marilyn in CO Well-Known Member

thanks everybody for your input......I think I have compiled a pretty good lease now. I don't know these guys, but they are a group of firemen from the mountains, so hope they turn out to be good ones. We have another group that has leased other acres for over 20 years, so I have been spoiled as to good hunters who have become our valued friends. The liability thing also has me spoiled because we never had a problem all those years but who knows with this new group. My kids always tell me I'm too nice and don't charge enough. :p

bugguy, don't be afraid to go ahead with this, good money can be made and some new friends as well, if you screen them well. Go for it. Also, thanks a bunch for the website, I got some good ideas.

10. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

You are welcome to a copy of the hunting lease format I use. Just e-mail me at scharabo@aol.com.