1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Serious interest only!!!!
This postion is to start the first of August
Please email me privately [email protected]

This is your chance to run a commercial goat dairy without having to pay for it. We are looking for an individual or couple to run a large organic goat dairy in Colorado.

This is a one of a kind dairy. We are one of the largest Organic goat dairies in the country with close to 350 animals on site, 200 on line now. We are about to start breeding for next years milk. There is a double 15 milking parlor(one side is up and running and the second is in but just needs inflations and a wash line put in), processing area for cheese, yogurt, milk. Beautiful new 100x50 steel loafing shed for the girls, There is a great kid rearing area(HEATED), with space to have 150 kids inside with self sucking wall for feeding.

There is a 4 bedroom 3 bath house on site built in 2002 for the managers to use. There is a one bedroom apartment on the second story of the barn for a milker if needed. A beautiful office space on the second story of the barn that overlooks the drylots. 40 acres of fenced pasture for the girls to roam on.

Most of the milk will be shipped off to make product but there will be some left over milk to make cheese, yogurt and other products to sell at the farmers market and off the farm so someone with that experience is needed.

Looking for someone with goat experience, this is a must, health and wellfare experience, business experience perferred. There are no drugs used on the farm so you will have to learn about alternative cures for common ills. The girls are very healthy and we rarely ever have to treat them. This is a closed organic farm so I am sorry but no other goats can be brought onto the farm. You might be able to but they would have to be kept in a total different part of the farm and left there for a year and tested for CAE, CL, Johnes and put on organic feed at your cost.

Compensation:

A salary + housing

If interested please let me know please email me privately [email protected] . This is for serious interest only. Starting time is first of August.

---------------------------------

·
www.HarperHillFarm.com
3,089 Posts
Patty, you're moving to Colorado or are you posting this for someone else? BTW- I saw your pic in the Country Folks paper! Congrats, looks like you had a great festival!

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not moving it came thru email . I just got the paper today . We had fun and sold alot more than I thought I would have .

Patty

·
Namaste
1,528 Posts
Tater'sPa said:
Wow!
What a dream job that would be........ :baby04:
Well now, in doing the math with the current set up it looks like it may take 4-5 hrs for milking the current 200; 2x/day. Pasturizing the milk and making cheese 4-6 hrs depending on type 3x/week. Farmer's market 6 hr or more 1-2 x/wk. Then all the daily stuff + maintenance.... I'd say they need a crew of 4, not 1-2 people. Did I mention that I thought to set up a goat dairy? Then I went to work at one, still do, but that cured me...I like to have a couple of hours to myself a day plus a semi -day off every week. The farm owners really should look for a family with teenage kids or an older couple teamed with a younger pair, otherwise they'll constantly be replacing staff from burn-out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts